Oathbringer discussion (SPOILERS for everything so far)

A place to do whatever, out of character.
Kurkistan
Narrator
Narrator

Re: Oathbringer discussion (SPOILERS for everything so far)

Post by Kurkistan » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:31 am

Skullduggery wrote:Why has Brandon Sanderson decided to release 30 chapters for free?
Because he's a chill dude and it's still only a fifth of the book, I would guess.

Also with online piracy what it is anyone who's inclined to get a free copy of any book can do so easily enough. The content being out there isn't the concern, the concern is getting enough buy-in from the audience (like, say, by being bro and having a bunch of preview chapters to build up hype) that they buy-out (har har puns) your books with actual money.
Skullduggery

Post by Skullduggery » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:51 pm

Any theories about the adolin imitation killer
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:32 pm

Skullduggery wrote:Any theories about the adolin imitation killer

I had this crazy thought that Adolin might be turning Radiant, and the imitation murder was he work of his spren, but the murder in the marketplace and the hand-stabby thing poke some pretty big holes in that theory.
Skullduggery

Post by Skullduggery » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:23 pm

What kind of spren is op enough to kill a human?

Why does that ruin your theory
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:04 am

Skullduggery wrote:What kind of spren is op enough to kill a human?

Why does that ruin your theory
Oh, weird, I replied to this but apparently it didn’t get posted. As for your second question, it ruined my theory because why would Adolin’s Spren be following around other people (and specifically Shallan) and imitating their violence?

As for your first question: well, chapters 28-30 posted today answered that question. Storms. Finally I feel like stuff is starting to happen in this book, and in typical Brandon fashion it blew my expectations out of the water.
jeremyguebert

Post by jeremyguebert » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:24 pm

oh my goodness that was intense. The Unmade are scary.

And I loved the shifting "viewpoints" in the Shallan sections - moving from Veil to Shallan to Radiant gave such a visceral understanding of how she saw herself at any given moment.
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:33 pm

What would have happened if Shallan had let it bond to her? Ooh, I wonder if the champion Dallinar saw is one person bonded to 9 of the Unmade (one for each shadow)?

Also, I have my doubts that the creature that Shallan saw in the narrow tunnel was the same as one of the Midnight Mother’s creations. It still sounds more like a Kandra with the bones jutting out of it than one of the Midnight Essence creatures (I’m assuming that these are the same things as the Midnight Essence creatures that Dallinar fought with in one of his first visions).
Skullduggery

Post by Skullduggery » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:43 am

I think my audiobooks have made me a worse reader

The fight felt kinda cringey

and is Shallan developing ............ (something with different personalities having diffrent skills, just like a soul forger and legion)
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:35 am

Ch 31:

Wow. Many things:

First, this, from Syl: “Besides, I’m less a force of nature and more one of the raw powers of creation transformed by collective human imagination into a personification of one of their ideals.“

Very interesting. I feel like I’m starting to understand Spren better.

Speaking of which, the way I view the Stormfather just got completely flipped on its head. I used to think that when Honor got shattered the Stormfather and other similarly powerful Spren were simply larger pieces of Honor so they were more powerful. Now I’m not so sure.

What is the Stormfather, really, keeping in mind Syl’s statement above? He’s a personification of (much or most of) Humankind’s perception of God, combined with the personification of all the destructive and terrible power of highstorms. Of course he’s going to be a huge and powerful! So many people have envisioned him that way and worshipped and/or feared him for so long, how could it not shape him into what he is?

Along those same lines, I wonder if the Everstorm was less terrible than expected precisely because it was new and doesn’t (yet) have the weight of centuries of humankind’s expectations behind it. Could it be that the highstorms started out like the everstorm did, and have grown in power as the Stormfather grew due to peoples’ expectations? Will the Everstorm similarly grow in stren over time?

Parshendi anti-Radiants. Crazy!

What the Mraize did Kaladin do with the Windspren and the storm winds!? That doesn’t seem to be part of the Windrunners’ normal abilities, unless maybe it’s some sort of twisted version of a Reverse Lashing. But that still doesn’t make much sense. Reverse Lashings pull objects towards them, not push them away. And what was up with all the windspren? This seems like something new. Do we have any evidence of surgebinders manifesting additional abilities?

Or maybe it wasn’t Kaladin doing it, but rather the windspren heeding Kaladin’s call somehow.

Ch 32.

Ah, I was wondering when we were going to see Jasnah again. :)

Speaking of, this seems like a good time to bring up something I’ve been pondering. What it up with Dalinar’s (or perhaps more appropriately: Gavilar’s) family? Nearly half of the Knights Radiant we’ve seen so far have all been Kholins. You have Dalinar, Jasnah, Renarin, and there’s good evidence that Elhokar is developing a Nahel bond since he mentioned seeing the symbol-headed cryptics in mirrors.

Every other radiant we’ve seen has been the only one in their family. What makes house Kholin so special?
Kurkistan
Narrator
Narrator

Post by Kurkistan » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:43 am

Herowannabe wrote: Speaking of, this seems like a good time to bring up something I’ve been pondering. What it up with Dalinar’s (or perhaps more appropriately: Gavilar’s) family? Nearly half of the Knights Radiant we’ve seen so far have all been Kholins. You have Dalinar, Jasnah, Renarin, and there’s good evidence that Elhokar is developing a Nahel bond since he mentioned seeing the symbol-headed cryptics in mirrors.

Every other radiant we’ve seen has been the only one in their family. What makes house Kholin so special?
No "Sources" because I stole them from Arcanum:
Questioner
Why are there so many Kholins that are Radiants?

Brandon Sanderson
There is a story reason, kind of. So the Kholin family is in Alethkar, which was the hereditary...one of the homes of the Knights Radiant. It’s still kind of in the forefront of the, how shall we say, collective unconscious and things like this. Plus there’s...

Questioner
And then they are on the forefront of that.

Brandon Sanderson
Yes. I mean... yeah. And so the spren, some of them are naturally looking for where a lot of Radiants used to be. So it’s just a higher concentration of spren around the area, if that makes sense?
Questioner
Is being a Knight Radiant at all genetic? Because you have Jasnah, Dalinar, and Renarin in the same family.

Brandon Sanderson
It is not genetic, however… Um… Families or people close to one another are more likely. It’s not genetic. So for instance, if everyone were adopted it would still have the same prevalence.

Questioner
Okay, fascinating!

Questioner
[interruption hard to hear]

Brandon Sanderson
Well, there are a couple of reasons for that. One is which, attracting the attention of a spren can mean that other spren are paying attention to that area. There are also things in the Cosmere (the shared universe of them) where people are connected spiritually. Um… and that’s part of the magic as well. So… You are more likely to become a Radiant if you know a Radiant.

Return to “General”