Forthcoming Update

A place to do whatever, out of character.
Sir Jerric

Re: Forthcoming Update

Post by Sir Jerric » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:17 pm

Regarding the obligator emoji:
Looking at it just doesn't make me think "Obligator". The height of the eyes makes me think of a "looking down my nose" expression, and the arc of grey around the eye dots adds a little "crazed stare" to the image. The later might be reinforcing / creating the former impression.

I also like the idea of a Terris emoji. Can it have flat eyes like Brock from the old Pokemon cartoons?
Zath

Post by Zath » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:26 am

Done! I think. I'm a bit less than happy with what I came up with, but maybe I'm just being perfectionist.
So, everybody, which one of these do you think best conveys the "I have nothing to hiiiide... Really! <crosses fingers behind back>" sentiment best?

Nothing to See Here #1:
Nothing To See Here 1.gif
Nothing To See Here 1.gif (1.36 KiB) Viewed 564 times
Nothing To See Here #2:
Nothing to See Here 2.jpg
Nothing to See Here 2.jpg (1.47 KiB) Viewed 564 times
Nothing To See Here #3:
Nothing to See Here 3.png
Nothing to See Here 3.png (952 Bytes) Viewed 564 times

...Oh, rust it, forgot about the white corners... I'll take care of that when I feel like it can. It's a bit late right now <yawn>
Haelbarde

Post by Haelbarde » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:41 am

Two other thoughts, if you're updating things - worth adding a favicon? Maybe an allomantic symbol? Steel, or say the one for Kredik Shaw maybe? And is getting the server to use https an option?
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:52 am

Sir Jerric wrote:Regarding the obligator emoji:
Looking at it just doesn't make me think "Obligator". The height of the eyes makes me think of a "looking down my nose" expression, and the arc of grey around the eye dots adds a little "crazed stare" to the image. The later might be reinforcing / creating the former impression.
Yeah, those eye tattoos are tough to do on a 17x15 pixel palette. :roll: I tweaked the obligator a little, bringing the eyes and mouth down to get rid of that haughty look, and hopefully toned down the crazed-eyes look. Thoughts?
obligator.png
obligator.png (3.14 KiB) Viewed 559 times
I also have been working on a couple Koloss. One enraged and one subdued. Thoughts on these?
Koloss_mad.png
Koloss_mad.png (717 Bytes) Viewed 559 times
Koloss_dull.png
Koloss_dull.png (719 Bytes) Viewed 559 times
(Hmm... looking at them now I think I should give the enraged koloss red eyes, kind of like the twisted smily :twisted: And get rid of the eyebrows on the subdued one....)
I also like the idea of a Terris emoji. Can it have flat eyes like Brock from the old Pokemon cartoons?
That's basically how I am envisioning it. I haven't started a Terris smily yet, but it will probably be next on my list.
Zath wrote:Done! I think. I'm a bit less than happy with what I came up with, but maybe I'm just being perfectionist.
So, everybody, which one of these do you think best conveys the "I have nothing to hiiiide... Really! <crosses fingers behind back>" sentiment best?

I would say something between #1 and #3, perhaps using the eyes from the Confused :? smily?

And... so actually, I got carried away and paused in typing out this response and made the smily I was envisioning. @Haelbarde PMed me earlier and told me how to make animated gifs (it's surprisingly easier than I thought it would be). Whether or not this is what you were going for I figured we needed this smily. Lets see if it works:
whistle.gif
whistle.gif (737 Bytes) Viewed 559 times
EDIT: AW YISS! 8-)

Haelbarde wrote:Two other thoughts, if you're updating things - worth adding a favicon? Maybe an allomantic symbol? Steel, or say the one for Kredik Shaw maybe? And is getting the server to use https an option?
Oh that's a good idea. Is there a standard Favicon size? Personally I'd be inclined to use this one: 3:D It is probably the most used smily on the site, after all. ;)

I'll let someone who knows what they're talking about answer your https question. :oops:

By the way, I should have done this earlier, but if anyone wants to try their hand and creating smilies to possibly be used on this site, here's a blank face .png file (I also have it as a .xcf (Gimp) file, but it won't let me upload it. If anyone wants it just let me know and I'll get it to you somehow) to use as a template. Enjoy!
blank smily.png
blank smily.png (3.13 KiB) Viewed 557 times
Zath

Post by Zath » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:08 pm

Herowannabe wrote:I tweaked the obligator a little, bringing the eyes and mouth down to get rid of that haughty look, and hopefully toned down the crazed-eyes look. Thoughts?
I like this one better than the "first draft" one. Still seems a bit... off, somehow. Maybe remove the eyebrows (are those eyebrows? or just tattoos that look like eyebrows?) and add a slight frown. Maybe use a dark red or dark blue, even, for the tattoos to better distinguish them from the eyes and/or any other expression marks?
Herowannabe wrote:I also have been working on a couple Koloss. One enraged and one subdued. Thoughts on these?
That's great! I like 'em. I also like your idea of adding red eyes to the enraged one. That's a confirmed "thumbs up" from Zath on those (for what it's worth ;) )
Herowannabe wrote:And... so actually, I got carried away and paused in typing out this response and made the smily I was envisioning. @Haelbarde PMed me earlier and told me how to make animated gifs (it's surprisingly easier than I thought it would be). Whether or not this is what you were going for I figured we needed this smily. Lets see if it works:

whistle.gif (735 Bytes) Viewed 12 times

EDIT: AW YISS! 8-)
HAHA!! Yes, that's perfect! Thank you! :D
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:15 pm

Haelbarde pointed out that the music notes were backwards in my whistle smily, so I fixed that. Also, I tweaked the Koloss smilies a little.
whistle.gif
whistle.gif (736 Bytes) Viewed 542 times
Koloss_dull.gif
Koloss_dull.gif (416 Bytes) Viewed 542 times
Koloss_enraged.gif
Koloss_enraged.gif (419 Bytes) Viewed 542 times
Skullduggery

Post by Skullduggery » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:06 am

I just found on the goblins forum (a forum dedicated to the webcomic goblins) it exist a emoji of a yellow face smashing his head against a wall.

So emoji using allomancy, koloos blades or spikes is possible :o
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:11 pm

Got a bit more time to play around with making smilies today.

Terris Smily:
Terris.png
Terris.png (3.38 KiB) Viewed 504 times
EDIT: Hmm... not sure I like the mouth that wide. Here's a narrower mouth.
Terris.png
Steelpush animation:
steelpush.gif
steelpush.gif (1.04 KiB) Viewed 504 times
I tried an animation with multiple coins being pushed but it just looked messy so I gave up on it. Here's as far as I got though:
steelpushx3.gif
steelpushx3.gif (1.16 KiB) Viewed 504 times
EDIT:
Made some tweaks to the following smilies. I think these are all about as good as they're going to get.
obligator.png
obligator.png (3.14 KiB) Viewed 504 times
Terris.png
Koloss_mad.png
Koloss_mad.png (739 Bytes) Viewed 504 times
Koloss_dull.png
Koloss_dull.png (725 Bytes) Viewed 504 times
Zath

Post by Zath » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:17 pm

Two things-
First, regarding the forthcoming update, might I humbly request that the JavaScript applet on the registration page (the drag-and-drop Cosmere Investiture list) be changed? Currently, it needs to be downloaded before you can even see it, let alone use it, and the download path is similar/identical to some known malware, so some anti-virus software blocks it automatically (I know Norton Security does, at least). I think this is probably scaring off potential forum users (it almost scared me off- thankfully tecslicer was able and willing to address my concerns :) ).

So, if it's not too much trouble, could the updated site use some other method that will let prospective users prove that they're human and not spambots? Specifically, a method that doesn't involve downloading something (even if the file's small and/or temporary) onto your computer.

Second, @Hero, I love the Steelpush .gifs you came up with. :D
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:40 am

Hey everyone, with the update finally upon us I'm looking over the Smilies one last time to see if there are any I want to add.

Looking back over the thread I see that there are several that I wanted to do that I forgot about (Kandra morphing, spike(s), glass daggers, maybe the mists appearing/disappearing). Are there any others that people would like to see added to the site?

If there are some simple/easy ones I can probably get them done before the update, but if not then no big deal, the smilies can be added in easily later.

EDIT:
made a Skull smiley, in preparation to make an animated Kandra smiley:
Skull.png
Skull.png (713 Bytes) Viewed 114 times
EDIT2: Testing a fixed whistle gif:
Whistle2.gif
Whistle2.gif (533 Bytes) Viewed 112 times
whistle:)

I think that looks much better against the dark background

EDIT3:
I found a few minutes of free time (read: I stayed up way too late) and so I started tinkering around with a Kandra smiley. The ;) smiley seemed like the best one to base it off of, but if someone would prefer I use (or make) a different smiley for the Kandra then just let me know.

It took me a few tries to get the timing of the gif right, but I'm pretty happy with this. I was aiming for a smooth, slow fade to the skull and back, with extended pauses on the skull and the regular face. It might need to be slowed down just a tad more, or the pauses extended a little bit. What do you think?
Kandra.gif
Kandra.gif (5.92 KiB) Viewed 87 times

Return to “General”