Short Story Intro to the World of Mistborn

A place to do whatever, out of character.
Zath

Short Story Intro to the World of Mistborn

Post by Zath » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:20 pm

I just got a couple of my friends interested in playing the MAG, but one of them hasn't read any of the Mistborn books. None whatsoever. Which means I'll have a lot of fun Narrating that game... 3:D

Anyways, neither of them actually has a copy of the MAG, so, instead of using the Eleventh Metal story to introduce the world, I decided to write my own. I had a lot of fun with it (I got a bit carried away, to be honest :roll: ), and thought that I'd post a link to my story here for your enjoyment. If anyone wants to use it for their own game, feel free.

It's about 17 pages long and it focuses on Allomancy and Luthadel intrigue. Its time-frame is anywhere from hundreds of years beforehand to simultaneous with Mistborn: The Final Empire. Again, it's meant to be an introduction, so if you think it'd be confusing to someone who hasn't read the Mistborn novels, please don't hesitate to let me know. I'd also welcome any other feedback you have for me.

Here you go: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Vfc ... sp=sharing
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Re: Short Story Intro to the World of Mistborn

Post by Herowannabe » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:40 pm

Very nice! There are one or two very minor details that should be tweaked (I’m 99% sure Atium shadows are blue like steel-lines, not white, and torches don’t actually push the mists back) but overall it was fantastic and very enjoyable to read. You did a great job explaining and demonstrating all the metals in a way that progressed logically and naturally, all while keeping the story interesting and exciting. I especially liked the reveal of Erikeller’s plot near the end, when you get to not just be told that the noble houses plot and scheme against each other but you get to see one of these schemes play out.

You never said anything about Feruchemy or Kandra, but I actually kind of like that. It gets mildly irritating sometimes to play the MAG with people who already know all the ins and outs of the mysteries of the world, instead of letting those things be mysteries and being able to play around with that. You may want to throw in an oblique reference or two just to hint that there is more to this world than what is being presented, but without giving anything away. For example, during the part when Terris stewards are mentioned you could throw in something like Tyde thinking that Terrismen always unnerved him a little, ever since he’d heard fantastical stories about the northern mystics and their strange beliefs. For Kandra, when Tyde enters the party and he mentions spies, you could say something like, “even a gathering this size would undoubtedly have several spies in attendance, both human and not.”

But anyway, again, bravo! Very well written and fun to read. :D
Gargoyle

Post by Gargoyle » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:39 pm

Herowannabe wrote:It gets mildly irritating sometimes to play the MAG with people who already know all the ins and outs of the mysteries of the world, instead of letting those things be mysteries and being able to play around with that.
Oh goodness yes. Especially Hemalurgy.
Honestly, I'd kinda like to start off a crew of players new to the setting with basic Skaa characters, and let them learn about Allomancy and stuff in-game (remembering that, with very few exceptions, skaa have no clue about the Metallic Arts, just that the nobles know magic)
Zath

Post by Zath » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:55 am

Aww, shucks :oops: :D thanks Hero! And a second thank-you for your suggestions!
Herowannabe wrote:I’m 99% sure Atium shadows are blue like steel-lines, not white
Okay, so, I had imagined atium shadows as mostly glowing-white with just a hint of blue at the very edges, but... I just looked up Vin's first experience burning atium (Mistborn: TFE pg 242). If it didn't mention the color of atium shadows there, then where else would I find it? (and, yes, I did do a quick search for a WoB about it :geek: :lol: didn't find anything though) All it really says about an atium shadow's appearance is that it's translucent, and there's a faint after-image that trails back to the shadow's owner. It doesn't mention what color it might be, so... color is up to reader discretion? <shrug> My brother's reading the series right now, actually. I'll ask him to keep an eye out for atium-shadow color.
Steel-line blue would make sense though. If atium shadows aren't white, then I think blue would be what I'd expect.

And you're right about the torches and mist, I'll change that. Good catch. :)
Herowannabe wrote:You may want to throw in an oblique reference or two just to hint that there is more to this world than what is being presented, but without giving anything away.
That's a good idea, thanks!
Herowannabe wrote:you could say something like, “even a gathering this size would undoubtedly have several spies in attendance, both human and not.”
Oh, I like that. I really like that. I'm putting that in there. ;)
Gargoyle wrote:
Herowannabe wrote:It gets mildly irritating sometimes to play the MAG with people who already know all the ins and outs of the mysteries of the world, instead of letting those things be mysteries and being able to play around with that.
Oh goodness yes. Especially Hemalurgy.
Honestly, I'd kinda like to start off a crew of players new to the setting...
Yeah, that's one of the things I'm looking forward to the most in my game: gradually revealing those new metals, powers, and creatures, and all the secrets associated with them. Not to mention the whole struggle between Ruin and Preservation! Oh man, it's gonna be great. 3:D
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:45 am

Gargoyle wrote:Oh goodness yes. Especially Hemalurgy.
Right??
Gargoyle wrote:Honestly, I'd kinda like to start off a crew of players new to the setting with basic Skaa characters, and let them learn about Allomancy and stuff in-game (remembering that, with very few exceptions, skaa have no clue about the Metallic Arts, just that the nobles know magic)
That sounds like so much fun. I think I've only ever Narrated a game with someone who hadn't read any of the books once, and that was only for one session so I didn't really get to explore possibilities like that.
Zath wrote:Okay, so, I had imagined atium shadows as mostly glowing-white with just a hint of blue at the very edges, but... I just looked up Vin's first experience burning atium (Mistborn: TFE pg 242). If it didn't mention the color of atium shadows there, then where else would I find it?
Good question. It could be in any number of places where the books talk about Vin burning atium. I'm not really sure how to quickly find a relevant passage, unless you happen to have a searchable ebook version of the novels (I don't) and just do a search for things like "atium" and "shadows" and then skim the results.

Also, it is entirely possible that the blue color exists only in my head-canon and I've never realized it. :roll:
Zath wrote:Yeah, that's one of the things I'm looking forward to the most in my game: gradually revealing those new metals, powers, and creatures, and all the secrets associated with them. Not to mention the whole struggle between Ruin and Preservation! Oh man, it's gonna be great.
I'm jealous. 8-)
Gargoyle

Post by Gargoyle » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:21 am

Herowannabe wrote:That sounds like so much fun. I think I've only ever Narrated a game with someone who hadn't read any of the books once, and that was only for one session so I didn't really get to explore possibilities like that.
I mean, I've only gotten to narrate like two sessions ever, and those were with my mistnerd brothers :-P

Return to “General”