Requesting Art Assistance [Emperor's Soul]

A place to do whatever, out of character.

Postby Mac » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:03 pm

EDIT: Updated with an easier-to-see version of the page I came up with.

Below, please find two images. One is the example of a Stamp from Emperor's Soul. The other is a sheet of paper I doodled.

My plan is to make a box of Essence Marks and give them to Brandon at JordanCon. I will take a page of doodles like this and chop out a bunch of random circles of the image for use as the pattern.

I cannot draw for the life of me and the pictures are bad. Here is what I request. Is anyone more artistically bent than I willing to make me a page of doodles? I can not offer payment, but I will definitely give you credit when I give the finished product to Brandon. If not, I will simply work with the page I have.

Thank you for your time.

ONE MORE THING: Sadly I am having unaccustomed trouble getting this to be a valid SVG to upload into the system. I have no idea what's wrong. :( I will persevere!

Page of Seals.png
Page of Seals.png (268.76 KiB) Viewed 211 times

#
Forgery Seal.jpg
Forgery Seal.jpg (64.87 KiB) Viewed 216 times
Attachment
Page of Seals.pdf
(202.44 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Mac

Postby Herowannabe » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:13 pm

looks good for your purposes. I assume you're going to 3d print the stamps?

Here's how I turn regular art into .svg's, maybe you'll find it helpful
1. open the file in Gimp (that's what I use. Theoretically you can do this in Photoshop, too, but I don't have it available)
2. Use the color select tool to select all the black (or white) areas. You'll want the tolerance set fairly high so that you get it all.
3. If the selection outline is rough- and it usually is when working with hand-drawn scans- I'll usually use the select options to grow the selection by 1-2 pixels then shrink it by the same amount, or vise versa to smooth out a lot of the jaggedness and little holes and specks that get caught in the selection
4. Go to the paths window and convert the selection to a path (it will probably be the only button active)
5. Right-click on the path to bring up the menu, then select export path. Make sure you add ".svg" to the end of the file name.
6. Profit! :D
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Mac » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:33 pm

Thank you, that would have been a step simpler than what I did. I hadn't realized Gimp could give me an svg so I ended up exporting it as .png and used Inkscape to get the svg.

Most of the help I was hoping for was, someone willing to draw out a page of "seal art". I had hoped my own modest attempt would be... not-awful, but instead, it is awful. I mean, if it's all I've got, it'll do. It could just look way better.

In way of recompense, apart from this being a gift I'll give to Brandon (and if I have time to make enough, all of Team Dragonsteel) I can also send the .stl files to whomever makes the art. Most people should be able to find a place to print it for them.
Mac

Postby Zath » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:51 pm

I'm not much of an artist myself, but I asked my both of my artistically-inclined sisters if they were interested in making some soul-stamp doodles. My youngest sister's answer:

"Oh yeah!" (She's a big Sanderson fan)

And my other sister said she might like to have a go at it as well. So, Mac, what day and time would you need those doodles by?
Zath

Postby Mac » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:08 am

As soon as possible would be nice, obviously. I'll be leaving for JordanCon on the 19th. Each disc takes about an hour to print, I haven't timed the stamps yet. Getting them by Saturday the 14th would give me at least Sunday the 15th to print as many as I can, so that would be nice. Any later than that and I'll print as many as I can.
Mac

Postby Zath » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:58 pm

Alright, I'll try to get the soul stamp art to you before then.

Speaking of which... I got bit by the artist bug, and thought I'd try a soul stamp myself. I'm actually kinda pleased with how it turned out. Here it is, if you'd like to use it (I won't be offended if you don't, though):
Soul Stamp.png
Soul Stamp.png (21.28 KiB) Viewed 190 times
Zath

Postby Mac » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:11 am

Thank you! I will see what I can do. This is fantastic art, I hope my 3D printer is up to the resolution.
Mac

Postby Zath » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:44 pm

You're welcome! Glad you like it! :D Feel free to add or erase things, crop it, or whatever else you need to do to make it work.

Honestly, a lot of it was just inserting shapes, curved lines, and "fancy-font" letters, then erasing/adding bits and rotating them around (I even put "Sel" in a cursive font near the bottom, flipped sideways). So it was more like arranging than drawing. Still fun, though. ;)
Zath

Postby Zath » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:23 pm

Alright, here's the next Forgery-seal-essence-mark-soul-stamp thing:
Soul Stamp Drawing take 1 edit.jpg
Soul Stamp Drawing take 1 edit.jpg (97.34 KiB) Viewed 145 times

This one was also by me, actually (my sisters are still working on theirs). Again, I won't be offended if you don't use it, and feel free to alter it however you'd like if you do decide to use it.
Zath

Postby Mac » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:53 am

This is amazing! I don't know that my printer can handle this resolution so I might end up enlarging it and taking circular chunks out of it to use as seals. Hope that's okay!

I might not get to it until after the con, but I can totally design your own set for you out of the pictures you're making. Dunno where you live but you might be able to find a local 3D printer who can crank it out for you. Libraries have them, some places that do shipping or office stuff like Kinkos or FedEx, or you can just google. I know there's at least one site called MakeXYZ that will let you search to see if there's a freelancer in your area.

Standard disclaimer: Print as many as you want, just don't sell them.
Mac

Next

Return to General