Ready Player One discussion

A place to do whatever, out of character.
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Ready Player One discussion

Post by Herowannabe » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:24 am

Has anyone else seen the movie yet? Read the book?

I thoroughly enjoyed both, and highly recommend them. If you haven’t experience either- my advice is to watch the movie first and then read the book.
Mac

Re: Ready Player One discussion

Post by Mac » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:30 am

Read the book a few years back. Haven't seen the movie yet. From what I'm told, I think I'll enjoy the movie but think the changes aren't improvements. But, I also thought that I would hate the book and ended up enjoying it, so I could be wrong.
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:39 am

Yeah pretty much. If you think about it, a lot of the parts in the book needed to be changed for the movie, if only to make the movie actually entertaining to watch. With books you can present puzzles and challenges and spend a long time on the characters dealing with them, but not so much with a movie. Take for example: spending several months trying to figure out a riddle, playing old video games like Joust or Pacman or Tempest for hours on end, or reenacting your favorite childhood movie. These things work fine in a book setting, but in a movie? They would sorta kinda maybe definitely fall flat. :roll:

So I went in to the movie fully expecting there to be major changes from the book but still expecting a good, enjoyable movie, and I feel like that’s exactly what I got. It’s about the same as Jurassic Park the book vs the movie. Yes they made big changes from the book to the movie but they’re close enough that you can tell it’s the same story and they can both stand on their own for what they are.

Anyway I’m rambling. I will end by saying if you go see the movie don’t reread the book first. I reread it right before the movie came out and because it was fresh in my mind I felt like I spent too much time comparing what was the same/different in the movie instead of just enjoying the movie.
jeremyguebert

Post by jeremyguebert » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:28 pm

I agree with Hero's assessment - I enjoyed both the book and the movie, and while I wasn't necessarily a fan of the changes the movie made (I enjoyed the book more for at least the first two challenges), I can understand why they made those changes to convert it to the movie format.

Return to “General”