Brandonology

A place to do whatever, out of character.
Skullduggery

Re: Brandonology

Post by Skullduggery » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:55 am

Does the Universal Metalminds last forever?

How does the malwish People store warmth when they are in a land where they are freezing to Death?
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:08 am

Pretty sure that Fire Mothers/Fathers can compound brass.

If not, they could always build a big bonfire and huddle really close to it while storing a bunch of heat in their brassminds.
Mac

Post by Mac » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:19 am

Not sure how it all began, maybe the Sovereign just compounded for them, but the Temple of the Sovereign showed that ettmetal can be used like a more mundane fuel to create light. Presumably they might have a way to use it to produce heat. Stick a few Firemothers and -fathers in a cave with ettmetal-powered space heater and let them store to their heart's content.

As for Univeral Metalminds... I was asking this with my friend the other day. Can the Bands be stored into to refill them? There are a number of concerns which would all have to be addressed for it to be possible.

The biggest is, will new "attributes" retain the universal properties if pour back into the same metalmind? Is it a trait of the metalmind itself, or is it a trait of the power? If it is a trait of the power, would that trait persist across the process of compounding?

To compound the abilities, one would have to do this: Hold the Bands. Tap the ability to burn and tap every metal from nicrosil. Simultaneously store that ability in a second nicrosilmind. (Can one even do that? Can traits be just transferred like that?) At this point we have to hope that the universality of the Investiture itself follows the power into the new metalmind. Then burn the nicrosilmind to compound the power, and again, hope that when the power of Preservation flows through the metal, it picks up not just the qualities of feruchemical nicrosil, but also whatever made that power universal. Then store that power once again in the new nicrosilmind; at this point, if the universality has survived all the other issues, it should survive this last process.

Or, I suppose, if we find out what granted that universality trait in the first place (which seems to be more than just storing your Identity, since otherwise these would be very easy to make for every metal) it wouldn't matter if it followed the power, we could just reintroduce it at the very end as the Bands were being re-filled. It still begs the question, can you slide traits from one metalmind into another? Can you store and tap at once?
Skullduggery

Post by Skullduggery » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:04 am

But one metalmind can’t hold infinity of a attribute (or has the adventure game just made me remember wrong)
Mac

Post by Mac » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:16 am

You are correct, everything we know about metalminds suggests that they have an upper-bound. Perhaps this is new speculation as to what lerasium alloys might do? A ring of lerasium alloyed with tin can hold an infinite amount of sight?
Skullduggery

Post by Skullduggery » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:59 am

So why does it seem like the Malwish has Infinte warmth in their meta minds
Mac

Post by Mac » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:17 pm

I don't believe it is infinite, I think it's just very large. Remember, in all three arts, a shocking amount can be done with tiny amounts of metal. In a single vial Vin can swish down in a single gulp, there is enough of all eight metals (in later books even more than that) that she can burn just steel for hours. A medallion as big as a large watch face, if of decent thickness, could prolly hold a mind-boggling amount of heat.

Keep in mind we only see them get used, lightly, for about a day.
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:40 pm

I’m pretty sure the universality really IS just a function of storing identity while you store in other metals. The reason we haven’t seen it done more frequently (yet) is that without Hemalurgy (which hasn’t be one prominent in the Basin outside of the set) the general population hasn’t had anyone with the ability to access multiple feruchemical powers.
Mac

Post by Mac » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:34 pm

That still doesn't explain why there aren't brassminds or goldminds that literally anyone can just use, or why Allik says they need the Excisors. They can't make medallions with more than three metals. So why not just have a "fully universal" brassmind Allik could tap, because anyone can, and then give him a medallion for translation?
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:09 pm

The medallions are literally brassminds that anybody can use (among other things). That’s where the nicrosilmind-parts of the medallions come in. You still have to be a brass-ferring (I forget the name for them) to tap a brassmind. Tapping the Investiture from a Nicrosilmind makes you a ferring (or misting) of the relevant type(s), which then lets you tap (in this case) the heat stored in the attached brassmind.

Though you are right that we don’t know everything, such as what exactly the excisors are or why they haven’t been able to produce medallions with more than a couple powers, or exactly how/why the nicrosilminds can be tapped by people who aren’t already Nicrosil-ferrings, but that is according to Brandon’s design. I’m sure most of that will be revealed when The Lost Metal comes out.

Return to “General”