Brandonology

A place to do whatever, out of character.
Mac

Re: Brandonology

Post by Mac » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:12 pm

Herowannabe wrote:The medallions are literally brassminds that anybody can use
Kay this is where I think you and I are being confused.

The nicrosil of the medallions is a nicrosilmind anyone can use. You're saying the brass is a brassmind anyone can use... but then you admit that only firesouls can use them.

The Bands are metalminds anyone can use. At least the nicrosil is; at that point it's a little confusing if the nicrosil lets you access the other traits, or if the other traits are as unlocked as the nicrosil.

But that's my point. I'm talking about truly, universally unlocked. Something you can tap even if you don't have the feruchemical trait. Without that, sure, you could totally refill the other 15 metalminds of the Bands... until you ran out of the feruchemy stored in the nicrosilmind, at which point they become useless.

Sorry it took so long to figure out we were talking about two different things. It seems that, fundamentally, we agree. We, the readers, have no idea what it is about the nicrosilminds that let anyone tap them, or why that same trick isn't used on brass or duralumin, or even whether the other traits in the bands are similarly universally unlocked or simply unlocked like Wayne's big goldmind, something you must be the right kind of ferring to use.
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:23 pm

Ah, gotcha. Yeah now I see where you’re coming from.

Hmm... if it’s possible to tap and store at the same time in different metals then you could do that to refill the Bands, including the Nicrosilmind. If not, then I don’t know how you’d do it.
Skullduggery

Post by Skullduggery » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:10 am

Well, we don't see somebody tapping a little amount over a long time often

The bands didnt last forever right
Mac

Post by Mac » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:31 am

@Hero: Yes. Though, again, you can't fill the nicrosilmind in any useful way unless that trait of complete universality is replicated somehow. I guess I shouldn't say "any useful way", you can still make yourself a feruchemistborn for the rest of your life, if you really can transfer a trait feruchemically from one metalmind to another. I guess even then there's a workaround, if you can shave off a bit of the nicrosil of the Bands first, compound that, we know for a fact that will let you store it in a new nicrosilmind, and at that point you can spend the rest of your life compounding beads of nicrosil; store 10% of the compounded trait in a new nicrosilmind and sift 90% back into the Bands.

@Skull: That is correct, though we never see them actually run out, both Wax and Marasi comment at how much of the attributes they went through in just a few minutes. The Bands would not last forever.
BillSmiley

Post by BillSmiley » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:16 pm

As for me, I read pretty much all of Sanderson's work, I read all the Mistborn, the first 2 Stormlight Archives (haven't gotten to Edgedancer yet), Elantris, Warbreaker, The Reckoners trilogy, Arcanum Unbounded and all of the Alcatraz VS Evil Librarians.
I'm currently reading The Dragon Reborn, the 3rd book in the Wheel of time serie. I bought the 15 hardcover books off of Ebay recently, 12 of them are first edition 8-) ... really proud of those

Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:39 pm

So wait, you read Arcanum Unbounded but didn't read Edgedancer? Does that mean you read everything in AU except Edgedancer?

I love the collection. Your bookcase is in much neater condition than mine. :roll:

I hope you enjoy Wheel of Time- I just finished my second complete read-through of WoT a month or two ago. A couple of the books are kinda slow, but don't let that stop you. The ending more that makes up for the slow parts, so keep pressing on to the end!
BillSmiley

Post by BillSmiley » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:15 pm

thanks! and yeah, I've read everything except Edgedancer in the Arcanum Unbounded, I re-read The Way of Kings a month or 2 ago and I was planning to re-read Words of Radiance + Edgedancer before Oathbringer came out but cause of school and stuff, I didn't really have time to do so :(

I'm REALLY enjoying the Wheel of Time books! and don't worry, I won't abandon them :D , I'd also heard from the Internet that the books in the middle are a bit slower. But that's kinda why I bought them hahah, to convince myself to read them whatever happens
Sir Jerric

Post by Sir Jerric » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:54 am

Seeing that orderly book shelf makes me wonder how many more shelves I would have to buy to thin my collection to a similar state. I'm sure the answer is more than I have space for. Unless I get rid of one of the sofas... ;)
Mac

Post by Mac » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:15 am

I literally decided there's a staircase I don't have to use which makes for perfect book storage...
Sir Jerric

Post by Sir Jerric » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:06 am

I love that idea, but I don't think I can spare a staircase at my place.

Return to “General”