A get to know you thread

A place to do whatever, out of character.

Postby Mwagner626 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:21 am

Also, Hero- cool character and kuddos for the Sanderson Q&A that's pretty awesome.
Mwagner626

Postby Kadrok » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:32 pm

Mac wrote:I don't think this would actually work, but in the back of my mind I kicked around the idea of a Tin Ferring who lost his sight as an adult. However, he can still tap his previously stored sight and see. He spends the rest of his life with a tiny store of how many more things he'll be able to look at, ever, and mentally keeps a list of, "I will look at my children when they are born, I have enough that if I only have two children I can see their wedding and if I save up carefully I might be able to see my grandchildren..."
That's amazing. I almost want it to work like that so this character can exist, because that's fantastic.

Mac wrote:I don't personally think it would work like that for the same reason that I don't think if you store up strength, then get your arm cut off, you can later tap your strength and lift things with a phantom left arm, but as Hero says, depending on the mechanism of one's blindness, it could be feasible.
I like this analogy.
Kadrok
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Kadrok » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:25 pm

I'm replaying Dragon Age Origins. Gosh I love that game.

But I'm here to give a shout out to Mika Simmons, the voice actor for the Female/Human/Violent voice option. It's by far my favourite voice option in the game, if a little bit psychopathic...

I was first won over by one of the sarcastic selection lines: "Can I get you a ladder, so you can get off my back?"

But hearing Mika cry,

"It's a massacre, and no one's getting out alive!"

or

"Watch in horror as I rip you apart!"

as I fling Fireballs and Lightning Bolts around, and crush opponents with Telekinesis, really brings the combat to life for me.

*Ahem* I'm not helping to shrug of my reputation as a Psychopath, am I?
Kadrok
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Herowannabe » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:17 pm

Kadrok wrote:*Ahem* I'm not helping to shrug of my reputation as a Psychopath, am I?

Don't worry Kadrok, we don't mind. You're everyone's favorite psychopath, and we mean that in the best way possible. :D
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Kadrok » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:43 pm

3:D
Kadrok
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Mac » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:48 am

I'm making the rubber bands of mourning.

RBoM.jpg
RBoM.jpg (28.45 KiB) Viewed 1426 times
Mac

Postby Sir Jerric » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:49 pm

Because they just look so neat:
Sir Jerric

Postby BillSmiley » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:46 pm

hey there humains,
I'm a 17 year old guy who successfully converted my father into a Cosmere fan.
I'm currently studying in Science in this thing called "CEGEP" which is a type of school that comes before University but after High-School, and I think it's exclusive to Quebec, Canada... Anyways I like to mountain bike, to ski, listen to 80's music and to read (though it is quite difficult with these new eye spikes).
I found Brandon Sanderson by randomly browsing on Goodreads until I found a list named "Mormon Fantasy" with included few of Brandon Mull's books (which was my favorite author at that time). Both of their books were in the top 10 so I decided to give him a try, (I started with Mistborn) and as you probably know, I fell in love!
I hope to become an active member to the Steel Ministry, it seems like a really nice place :)
BillSmiley

Postby Herowannabe » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:43 pm

Welcome Billsmiley! The Steel Ministry is a pretty great place, IMO.

So what are your thoughts on Brandon Mull? I haven't read his stuff yet, though I've been thinking about it.
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby BillSmiley » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:44 pm

well, it's a lot less complicated than a Sanderson novel (there is less connections and stuff, but there still is a few little references from his other series that pop up from time to time), and they ARE aimed at a younger audience, 'bout middle grade, I guess... But that doesn't stop Mull from building an awesome world, with an amazing story. What I really liked about Sanderson, Mull and Robert Jordan, is that they have lots of main characters + Mull isn't afraid to kill a couple of them to make the story better.
He has 3 main series: Fablehaven, Beyonders and Five Kingdoms and they are all amazing.

Fablehaven currently have 6 released books , and I think 4 more books are coming soon(-ish). It starts with Seth and Kendra being dumped at their Grand-Parents house, while their parents go on a cruise. There, they discover a magical reserve named " Fablehaven" and the story kinda kicks off with that...

Beyonders is a trilogy which all books have released so you don't need to wait for them. This one follows the story of Jason and Rachel, which accidentally travel to another world and are (apparently) destined to save this world, one way or another...

The Five Kingdoms is going to be a 5 books serie, 4 books are out as of now, the last book is coming out soon though. This one is based on this guy named Cole. He follows his friends through a portal that transports them to another world, where he'll need to save them from kidnappers...

Brandon Mull also has a couple other series, which are a little less popular, like the Candy Shop War and Spirit Animal, both are good but I'd recommend one of the other 3 series first. I really liked them all and they all have some sort of magic to it.

I don't really know what series I preferred cause they are all amazing, + it been a while since a read them. But if I'd need to pick a Brandon Mull series for someone to read, I think I'd go Beyonders, just cause I find it to be made for an older audience. :) Hope this helps
BillSmiley

PreviousNext

Return to General