Conduit Stunts (and other feruchemical stuff)

A place to do whatever, out of character.
PhantomMonstrosity

Re: Conduit Stunts (and other feruchemical stuff)

Post by PhantomMonstrosity » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:33 am

I imagine it also depends on some conceptual stuff. Like, you might be able to see your own body, better, since even without any light at all your brain will interpolate it.
Mac

Post by Mac » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:06 am

Kadrok wrote:I love the concept, but my instinct is no.
I completely agree with you that it's totally impossible. But I like the idea enough that I might make the character anyway (not for any specific game, and maybe not even on this board. Just in my head cuz it's cool.)

It's my fault that the topic was specifically on gored-out eyes; that was the example I gave. Phantom, you've given me some leeway for a degenerative eye disorder, so I'll prolly go that route and look less obviously like I'm breaking the rules.

FURTHER BRAINSTORM. Secret hemalurgist. The eye thing is genetic. His father had it, and his grandfather, and his parents assume he'll have it, too. During his own life, his father, desperate to see again, researched methods of using the metallic arts to enhance his own sight. Somehow (I'll work out an appropriate plothook later) the secrets of using hemalurgy to steal allomantic tin, specifically, were slipped to him by some nefarious group with an ulterior motive. But he could never bring himself to use it, and besides it wouldn't have helped him by then.

BUT THEN. His son was born a windwhisperer. His parents actually never intended to conceive, they didn't want to put their child through what the father went through (remember this isn't the modern world, so life sucks so much worse for blind people back then.) In fact, he's got two adopted siblings, because the parents figured they'd only ever adopt. But, lo and behold, their son, a few years old, turns out to be a windwhisperer. The stars align. The mother finds the father's research. Secretly, she finds some tineye, and murders him for his power, then spikes her toddler son. Somehow she disguises it, maybe it's a fully-internal spike? Regardless, she disguises it in a childhood fall, and it seems like he merely Snapped. Boom, Tin Compounder, he stores up some sight while he's got his eyes and learns how to compound. Now he's got a decent store of sight saved up, which he uses only when he actually HAS to see something.

AND THEN HE MEETS THE DAUGHTER OF THE TINEYE HIS MOM KILLED AND THEY FALL IN LOVE AND THEY FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENS AND IT'S TRAGIC.

Thanks, Worst Muse.
PhantomMonstrosity

Post by PhantomMonstrosity » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:29 am

So, given the platypus info, anyone willing to help put together some compounding stunts for tin, using alternate sense?

Proprioception and Equilibrioception seem pretty overlappy in effect, but super dexterity should be straightforward.

Human magnetoception seems to exist at a super-low level (possibly mediated through magnetic bones in the nose). Compound that, and you could justify all sorts of things. Heck, the planet's magnet pole follows the Well of Ascension around, so you might even be able to fake low level bronze. Or just get inquisitorvision through a very roundabout way.

Lifesense is so obvious it doesn't need further explanation.

Edit: Also, something for storing your sense of pain. Maybe just take one point of health in a conflict to ignore a physical burden?
Zath

Post by Zath » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:48 am

PhantomMonstrosity wrote:So, given the platypus info, anyone willing to help put together some compounding stunts for tin, using alternate sense?
Yes! :D :geek: Though I think I'll cook up some basic Feruchemy rules first, then add Stunts and Compounding stuff.

Storing and tapping any of the senses listed below requires a fTin rating of 7 (more? less?) or higher.

Tinmind - Balance (Equilibrioception and Proprioception, AKA balance and sense of your own body)

Requires fTin rating of 4 or higher

Storing: When you store balance, you feel dizzy, clumsy, and can suffer from vertigo and nausea. While you store 1 charge of balance, you suffer a negative circumstance for any actions that include balancing (duh), climbing, jumping, walking along a high ledge, etc. For every 2 charges stored, you lose a die for those actions. So if you store 4 charges, you would lose 2 dice on every action that involves balance. The maximum amount of charges you can store in 1 hour is equal to your Tin rating or your Physique score minus 1, whichever is lower.

Tapping: When tapping balance, you become something of an acrobat, stumbling is a thing of the past, and fear of heights? HA! Tapping 1 charge of balance grants you a positive circumstance for actions that include balancing, climbing, jumping, walking along a high ledge, etc. For every 2 charges tapped, you gain a die for those actions.
Tapping 5 charges at once can instead grant you a "free" Nudge for those actions.

Tapping Ten or More Charges of Balance: ("First draft", i.e. not sure about these)
10 Charges - You may temporarily ignore the effects of certain Serious Burdens like "Dizzy" or "Disoriented" / You can walk with near-perfect silence even over noisy terrain (e.g. a forest floor of dry leaves, a floor strewn with marbles, etc) / You can walk a tight-rope or similar terrain, no problem

30 Charges - You instantly heal from certain Serious Burdens like "Dizzy" or "Disoriented" / You can run with near-perfect silence even over noisy terrain (e.g. a forest floor of dry leaves, a floor strewn with marbles, etc) or walk over extremely treacherous terrain (e.g. the splintered remnants of a swiftly sinking ship, a stretched rope swinging wildly in the wind, the tops of a series of upright poles, a steep mountain slope one breath away from a rock slide, etc)

50 Charges - You may temporarily ignore the effects of certain Grave Burdens like "Crippling Vertigo" [which I've experienced personally. Not fun :( ] / You can walk with perfect silence over noisy terrain, or run over treacherous terrain

70 Charges - You instantly heal from certain Grave Burdens like "Crippling Vertigo" / You can run with near-perfect silence over noisy, treacherous terrain

100 Charges - You may temporarily ignore the effects of Mortal Burdens like "Chronic Vertigo" / You can run with perfect silence over extremely treacherous terrain (e.g. the midst of a rockslide, bits of flotsam in fierce rapids, etc)

Tinmind - Lifesense

Requires a fTin rating of 7 or higher

Storing:

Tapping:

Tapping 10 or More Charges of Lifesense:
10 Charges - You are aware of every living being within Close Range of you even if you cannot see, hear, smell, touch, or otherwise sense them /

I'll get to this later... Basically works like aBronze, but for organisms, not Allomancy

Tinmind - Proprioception

Seems like a hand-eye coordination boost, as far as game mechanics go. Any ideas for other benefits? Combine this with balance and treat the two as a single sense?
I think I'll combine this with balance, since they go so well together. (The "dextrous acrobat" sense)

Tinmind - Magnetoreception

Again, saving it for later...

Tinmind - Electroreception

Sensing the electric fields given off by organisms, like a platypus or some sharks. Seems like the end result would basically be identical to lifesense... Probably just fold the two together, unless someone can think of a really cool, unique effect to justify having separate rules for the two.

Tinmind - Pain

Including hunger and thirst? Just a general "I store all my discomforts at once"? Seems like this would have some overlap with the touch sense.

Edit #1: Combined Equilibrioception and Proprioception.

Return to “General”