Weapon Stunts

A place to do whatever, out of character.

Postby Daris » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:32 am

With Alloy of Law introducing gunplay and gunsmithing stunts, it seems to me that similar stunts could easily be used for other weapons, especially in pre-Alloy games, reflecting specialized weapon training. I've thought up a few here, feel free to add your own or adjust them.

A lot of the Alloy stunts can already be used as is for other weapons, like Dual Wielding for swords and daggers or Fast Aiming with bows. I have a question about Heavy Weapons though: The MAG doesn't have a penalty for wielding a koloss blade or a giant hammer, but I really think there should be one.

Sample weapon stunts:

Disarm: Gain a bonus to your Physique roll when trying to disarm a target, need one less nudge to grab the weapon for yourself.

Steelpush Dagger (aka the stunt my player begged me for several weeks for): Throw a dagger and then steelpush it. This will make its course less predictable and you gain an additional die to your attack. Can be combined with the Increased Velocity stunt for additional damage.

Knifeplay: Think Thom Merrilin. Hide knives up your sleeves and throw them before your enemies notice them.

Sample weaponmaking stunts:

Hidden Blade: Include a hidden blade somewhere - for example, inside your dueling cane, shoes, sleeves.

Strengthen Armor: Improve your armor for better protection. I'm not completely sure how to handle this, my current idea would be to improve Leather/Padded armor for +1 damage reduction, making it as strong as the Steel Mail without metal. In exchange, the props cost would go up by 1 as well.

I'm not really convinced that the weaponmaking stunts would be worth the AP cost, although I do have one player who'd probably take the hidden blade stunt and just put blades everywhere...
Daris

Postby Zath » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:02 pm

Weapon Stunts! Yes. :)
Daris wrote:Disarm: Gain a bonus to your Physique roll when trying to disarm a target, need one less nudge to grab the weapon for yourself.

It's not clear whether the two effects are an "either/or" thing or "both". I think both effects should apply, because the +1 die to disarm an opponent could just be gained by an applicable Trait, so why bother with the Stunt? Edit:
Disarm: You gain a bonus die to your Physique roll when trying to disarm a target. Also, you need one less Nudge to grab the weapon for yourself.
Daris wrote:Steelpush Dagger (aka the stunt my player begged me for several weeks for): Throw a dagger and then steelpush it. This will make its course less predictable and you gain an additional die to your attack. Can be combined with the Increased Velocity stunt for additional damage.

Again, why bother taking the Stunt when you can just gain a Trait that gives you the same effect? How about
Knife Thrower: When you throw a knife, reduce the Difficulty of the throw, or the Result of any attempt to defend against this attack, by 1 (to a minimum of 1). This Stunt can be combined with the Increased Velocity Stunt.
And similar Stunt for spears! Why not?
Spear Thrower:When you throw a spear, reduce the Difficulty of the throw, or the Result of any attempt to defend against this attack, by 1 (to a minimum of 1). This Stunt can be combined with the Increased Velocity Stunt.
Daris wrote:Knifeplay: Think Thom Merrilin. Hide knives up your sleeves and throw them before your enemies notice them.

Knifeplay: When you throw a knife, you may use your Wits instead of Physique when forming a dice pool (or when figuring Action Dice). Additionally, if this is the first time you've used this Stunt in a Conflict, you may spend 2 Nudges (or more? less?) to ensure that your target and any observers are unaware of where the knife came from and/or who threw it (as long as said target and observers aren't using any abilities that would allow them to figure it out, e.g. fZinc, Edit: fCopper, aAtium, aElectrum, aSteel, aIron, etc).
Daris wrote:Hidden Blade: Include a hidden blade somewhere - for example, inside your dueling cane, shoes, sleeves.

Hidden Blade: You may hide a blade inside another Prop you own. This Stunt grants you an additional Prop which must be used for the following Customization:
  • Hidden Blade: Damage +1, Melee - Touch/Touch, Thrown - Striking/Close
Daris wrote:Strengthen Armor: Improve your armor for better protection. I'm not completely sure how to handle this, my current idea would be to improve Leather/Padded armor for +1 damage reduction, making it as strong as the Steel Mail without metal. In exchange, the props cost would go up by 1 as well.

Strengthen Armor: Improve your armor for better protection. Choose one armor, clothing, or shield Prop that you own. It now grants you one of the following Customizations:
  1. Flexible Armor: You gain 1 additional die for defense rolls against physical attacks
  2. Strengthened Armor: You receive 1 less Damage from successful physical attacks
You may take this Stunt multiple times. This Stunt grants you an additional Prop which must be one of the above Customizations. A Prop may have both of the above Customizations, but it cannot be Customized with the same effect twice. For example:
GOOD: (3 Props) Formal Clothing: Good for blending in with high society.
  • Strengthened Armor: Absorbs 1 Damage from physical attacks.
  • Flexible Armor: +1 die to defense rolls against physical attacks.
BAD: (3 Props) Leather Armor: Absorbs 1 Damage from physical attacks.
  • Flexible Armor (2): +2 dice to defense rolls against physical attacks.

Here's some weapon Stunts I've been thinking of:

Weapons Master (chosen weapon): You are exceptionally skilled at using a certain type of weapon in combat. Choose a weapon when you gain this Stunt; if you succeed with an attack using that weapon, your Damage is increased by 1. Alternately, if you declare a Called Shot that uses your chosen weapon type, you gain one "free" Nudge for your roll. You cannot select a firearm for this Stunt. You may only select a weapon type that your character could take as a starting Prop (no Weapons Master (Koloss Blade) if you're not a koloss-blooded). Edit: You may not combine this stunt with any Gunplay Stunts (such as Dual-Wielding, or Allomantic/Feruchemical Shot Stunts). You may only take this Stunt once. You may change your chosen weapon type by spending 2 AP during a Long Breather (similar to changing a Trait).

Pro Wrestler: You're so good at grappling that your opponents are practically helpless against you. The first time you successfully grapple an opponent in a Conflict, your opponent loses their next Beat. You cannot use this Stunt twice against the same opponent in a Conflict. For example:
  • Round 1: Bob successfully grapples Obligator.
  • Round 2: Obligator loses a Beat, cannot act. Bob attacks Obligator, doesn't have to spend any dice to maintain grapple.
  • Round 3: Obligator can now attempt to free himself from grapple. Obligator succeeds, is now free.
  • Round 4: Bob can attempt to grapple Obligator again but cannot use the Pro Wrestler Stunt if grapple is successful.
This Stunt can only be used in a hand-to-hand grapple. It cannot be combined with the "lasso" item, aSteel, aIron, or other forms of long-range grappling.

Adaptable Technique: When using a weapon with a normal melee range of Striking/Striking, you may make attacks with that weapon at Touch range. Edit: Similarly, when using a weapon with a normal melee range of Touch/Touch, you may make attacks with that weapon at Striking range. You may also make ranged attacks with daggers, spears, and other thrown weapons at one range farther than normal (you may throw a dagger to attack a target at Medium range, you may throw a spear to attack a target at Long range, etc)
Last edited by Zath on Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Zath

Postby Der Alleskrieg » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:27 pm

Zath wrote:Weapons Master (chosen weapon): You are exceptionally skilled at using a certain type of weapon in combat. Choose a weapon when you gain this Stunt; if you succeed with an attack using that weapon, your Damage is increased by 1. Alternately, if you declare a Called Shot that uses your chosen weapon type, you gain one "free" Nudge for your roll. You cannot select a firearm for this Stunt. You may only select a weapon type that your character could take as a starting Prop (no Weapons Master (Koloss Blade) if you're not a koloss-blooded). You may not combine this stunt with any Gunplay Stunts (such as Dual-Wielding, or Allomantic/Feruchemical Shot Stunts). You may only take this Stunt once. You may change your chosen weapon type by spending 2 AP during a Long Breather (similar to changing a Trait).

Maybe remove the part about it being unable to combine with gunplay stunts. Being unable to specialize in guns is fine, but maybe you should be able to combine it with adapted gunplay stunts. After all, dual wielding two knives (Dual Wielding) only proves how good you are with them, and if you're that good with a sword, it's bound to become the stuff of legend (adapted Legendary Gun).

Also, I have a suggestion:

Berserker Fury: You are absolutely nuts and prone to exceptionally violent outbursts in battle. During combat, you may choose to berserk. This is not an action and may be started at any time without losing an action. When berserk, you are in the grip of a primal fury. Your physique increases by 2 when berserk (which increases your health as well), you gain +1 damage to all attacks made while berserk, and you treat all burdens you have as if they were one grade less severe (although you still have them and gain new burdens as normal). This stacks with the grade reduction of the Take A Licking skaa stunt. However, you may only make melee attacks or ranged attacks with thrown weapons (no guns or bows for you), may not make called shots or engage in other such trickery (though you may still dual wield, and exactly what counts as "trickery" is subject to narrator discretion, and your opponents gain a "free" nudge when engaging in feints, called shots, or anything else that counts as "trickery" according to the narrator. In addition, you must spend the maximum amount of action dice possible on attacks (although leftover dice from forming a pool of 10 and bonus defense dice from shields are still applicable) and are immune to willpower damage. You may berserk a number of minutes equal to your pre-berserk physique score (although pewter may still modify this) x 2. Ending a berserk counts as an action. After you finish berserking, you are utterly exhausted, and in addition to the narrative effects of exhaustion, you lose 2 dice on all physique rolls, 1 die in all wits and charm rolls, and gain the "exhausted" serious burden for the duration of your exhaustion. The duration of your exhaustion is a number of hours equal to your minutes spent berserk or until you sleep, whichever comes first. You may not berserk while exhausted.

Erretta: Steelpushed and Ironpulled objects count as thrown weapons for the purpose of this stunt.

A bit complicated, but I was trying to adapt Pathfinder's barbarian rage rules ;) , and I think it's fair.
Last edited by Der Alleskrieg on Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Der Alleskrieg

Postby Zath » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:58 pm

Der Alleskrieg wrote:Maybe remove the part about it being unable to combine with gunplay stunts. Being unable to specialize in guns is fine, but maybe you should be able to combine it with adapted gunplay stunts. After all, dual wielding two knives (Dual Wielding) only proves how good you are with them, and if you're that good with a sword, it's bound to become the stuff of legend (adapted Legendary Gun).

Thanks for the feedback! :) That's a good point.

I love the Berserker Fury rules! It seems complicated enough, and such a large part of a character's personality, that it could potentially be its own Power, rather than just a Stunt.
A bit of clarification-- would aPewter adjust the amount of time you can spend Berserking? For example:
Bob the Thug burns Pewter, increasing his normal Physique of 4 to his Pewter-boosted Physique of 9. Bob now goes Berserk. He can Berserk for a total of 18 minutes (9 x 2).
Is that right? If so, what would happen if you ran out of Pewter while you were still Berserking...? Probably just "If you run out of Pewter, and have already been Berserking for a number of minutes equal to your normal Physique x 2, your next action (or current action, if you haven't acted yet this Beat) must be to end your Berserk."

Probably already implied, but:
  • If your Health drops to 0 or less when you end your Berserk, you immediately begin dying unless/until someone can stabilize you with a successful Wits 3 roll.

Some possible Scadrial-specific additions to it:
  • You may not take this Stunt if you are Terris (or even just mostly Terris). Edit: ...with possible Narrator-approved exceptions
  • Hemalurgic Blood-lust: If your character has Edit: 3 or more Hemalurgic spike(s) and/or has the Puppet of Ruin trait and goes Berserk, you gain +2 Damage for the duration of your Berserker fury (instead of the normal +1 Damage). You may Berserk for a number of minutes equal to your normal Physique score x 3. After you finish Berserking, in addition to the normal rules for exhaustion, you take 1 Willpower damage for every 2 minutes (more? less?) you spent Berserking. With enough Damage, you gain a Mental Burden and may even suffer Mental Defeat. Discuss the specifics with the Narrator.
Both of these depend to some extent on which era the campaign takes place in. I could see a Berserk Terrisman in Era 2, maybe, but definitely not Era 1. Likewise, Ruin's influence on spiked individuals is much stronger during Era 1.

Any chance we might eventually get to use some of these home-brew Stunts in Ruin Raisers? :)
Last edited by Zath on Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zath

Postby Der Alleskrieg » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:13 pm

Zath wrote:I love the Berserker Fury rules! It seems complicated enough, and such a large part of a character's personality, that it could potentially be its own Power, rather than just a Stunt.
A bit of clarification-- would aPewter adjust the amount of time you can spend Berserking? For example:
Bob the Thug burns Pewter, increasing his normal Physique of 4 to his Pewter-boosted Physique of 9. Bob now goes Berserk. He can Berserk for a total of 18 minutes (9 x 2).
Is that right? If so, what would happen if you ran out of Pewter while you were still Berserking...? Probably just "If you run out of Pewter, and have already been Berserking for a number of minutes equal to your normal Physique x 2, your next action (or current action, if you haven't acted yet this Beat) must be to end your Berserk."

Thanks! And yes to both.

Zath wrote:Probably already implied, but:
  • If your Health drops to 0 or less when you end your Berserk, you immediately begin dying unless/until someone can stabilize you with a successful Wits 3 roll.

Yes.

Zath wrote:Some possible Scadrial-specific additions to it:
  • You may not take this Stunt if you are Terris (or even just mostly Terris).
  • Hemalurgic Blood-lust: If your character has a Hemalurgic spike and goes Berserk, you gain +2 Damage for the duration of your Berserker fury (instead of the normal +1 Damage). You may Berserk for a number of minutes equal to your normal Physique score x 3. After you finish Berserking, in addition to the normal rules for exhaustion, you take 1 Willpower damage for every 2 minutes (more? less?) you spent Berserking. With enough Damage, you gain a Mental Burden and may even suffer Mental Defeat. Discuss the specifics with the Narrator.
Both of these depend to some extent on which era the campaign takes place in. I could see a Berserk Terrisman in Era 2, maybe, but definitely not Era 1. Likewise, Ruin's influence on spiked individuals is much stronger during Era 1.

For Terrismen not taking Berserker Fury in era 1, I'd say that in most cases that would be good, but there would be exceptions. Do you have wrought of copper? Some terrismen are pretty angry.

As for Hemalurgic rage, it sounds okay, but you'd need more than one spike. Maybe only if you're already a puppet of Ruin and/or have gone insane, or maybe just if you have a certain amount of spikes?

Zath wrote:Any chance we might eventually get to use some of these home-brew Stunts in Ruin Raisers? :)

RAFO (oh yes I did 8-) :lol: )
Der Alleskrieg

Postby Mac » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:40 am

How could feruchemical copper help someone figure out where a knife was thrown from?

Edit: Steel/Iron in Berserker fury: I feel like this should be restricted to very, very simple uses. I could see a berserker still able to hold up a coin and Shove on it (though, wait, does that still benefit from increased damage? I can't think of why it would) but the most interesting iron/steel uses we see in the books are more a matter of subtlety and precision than raw force, and I don't see a berserker pulling that off.

So: Narrator discretion, only extremely blunt uses of allomantic iron and steel are allowed.
Mac

Postby Skullduggery » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:58 am

feel like people are forgetting that you can take more traits
Skullduggery

Postby Herowannabe » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:12 pm

Berserker fury is too powerful for a simple stunt. A stunt costs 4ap, the same as a trait, so it should provide roughly the same benefit: +1D in applicable situations. Berserker fury gives you way more than that, and the drawbacks aren’t strong enough to compensate for that.
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Der Alleskrieg » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:48 pm

Herowannabe wrote:Berserker fury is too powerful for a simple stunt. A stunt costs 4ap, the same as a trait, so it should provide roughly the same benefit: +1D in applicable situations. Berserker fury gives you way more than that, and the drawbacks aren’t strong enough to compensate for that.

Okay. How do you recommend I remedy the situation?
Der Alleskrieg

Postby Mac » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:24 pm

Someone suggested that it be a Power.

Thematically I like the idea of a non-Invested Power...
Mac

Next

Return to General