Xhadar

Post character sheets for combatants here.

Postby Claincy » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:32 am

I haven't yet had a situation where a character would reasonably run out of arrows but I would treat it more or less the same way Hero said. Counting every arrow would just be a distraction.
Claincy
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Mac » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:36 am

Herowannabe wrote:Actually, not to add salt to the wound, but Knives are only +1 damage. And they are only a one-shot if you throw them.

Sorry, I was referring to my coinshot Sallo. By the rules of steel, a sack of clips is functionally infinite ammo that each deals +1 damage on a hit. Something like a knife is bigger and will deal +2 damage, but it takes an entire prop slot to get one of them.

Can I have a Grandbow then? It deals the same damage as my hammer, takes the same number of prop slots as my hammer, can be used up to Extreme range, and we're clearly ruling that it's something you can simply take at character creation, because it's not part of Xhadar's powerset. Grandbows are significantly less common on Roshar than Koloss blades are on Scadrial, yet Koloss blades aren't legal starting equipment. I will gladly take a Grandbow and give up my hammer.
Mac

Postby Claincy » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:45 am

I would prefer that you didn't take the grandbow simply because I would like to test out the roshar equipment against normal Scadrians rather than Scadrians with Roshar equipment. That's not a flat no, it's just that I would rather test against Scadrian equipment for comparisons sake. It also would mean that the entire fight would more or less be ranged and so the shardblade wouldn't get tested at all (mostly defying the point of the exercise ;) ). So if you do take one I'll want to do another fight directly after-woulds with one or both Scadrians being melee characters.
Claincy
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Herowannabe » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:00 am

As a side note, and this might lessen the sting for Mac a bit, I was thinking that Grandbows ought to be a range medium/extreme, instead of close/extreme. Shooting a giant bow at someone <10 paces away (roughly the width of a room) seems pretty tough.

Also, @Mac, use his Grandbow to your advantage. He can't use the Grandbow and the shardblade at the same time. Its one or the other.
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Claincy » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:11 am

The medium/extreme idea sounds reasonable. Though for future use I think the grandbow is actually slightly underpowered at the moment. It only does 1 damage compared to a normal bow which is very far from canon. I think a +4 damage, medium/extreme, 2 prop, diff 4 to acquire. Would work the best in future. Obviously open to discussion.
Claincy
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Herowannabe » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:45 am

I think it's damage is fine as it stands. A sword only deals one damage more than a knife, and a knife only does 1 damage more than a fist, but in this game, 1 damage is a big difference.
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Kadrok » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:33 am

I don't see why he can't start with a Koloss blade, honesty.
Kadrok
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Claincy » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:43 am

Herowannabe wrote:I think it's damage is fine as it stands. A sword only deals one damage more than a knife, and a knife only does 1 damage more than a fist, but in this game, 1 damage is a big difference.

Fair enough. Let's see how well it plays then we will have a better idea. Although, a sword has no stat disadvantages vs a knife, aka it doesn't take an extra prop or anything. The only potential disadvantages it has is in concealing it etc ingame. The proposed grandbow takes an extra prop and requires extreme strength to wield.

The only real reason for not bringing a koloss blade was the idea of using stock characters as such. Mac can take one if he really wants though. The reason they aren't normally available as props is that they are seriously powerful, I mean, double the damage of a normal sword.
Claincy
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Herowannabe » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:52 am

Claincy wrote:The only real reason for not bringing a koloss blade was the idea of using stock characters as such. Mac can take one if he really wants though. The reason they aren't normally available as props is that they are seriously powerful, I mean, double the damage of a normal sword.

That and they are massive and heavy. My interpretation of props is that these are the things that you would have with you at any given time. Lugging a Koloss sword around all the time isn't very practical.

Also, what was the reasoning for making a grandbow 2 props anyway? Why not just 1?
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Mac » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:06 pm

For the same reason that my hammer is two props?

It's an attempt at mechanical balance, which as I've mentioned before, in this game, is like trying to stop a highstorm by blowing really hard. Think of it in real life. If you can buy a toaster, or a huge toaster oven that can cook a turkey, wouldn't you want the toaster oven? Or, in the case of this specific game, let's say there's a dagger that does 1 damage, or a dagger that does 2 damage. Why on earth would anyone want the weaker dagger?

Just like in real life, the toaster is cheaper than the toaster over. The weak dagger is cheaper than the expensive one. Your props are determined by your resource score. Getting better equipment automatically costs more than getting okay equipment automatically.

I'm a thug; carrying a koloss blade would be easy for me. The reason it's not allowed in-game as a starting prop is narrative; it's supposedly something rare that you can't simply go to a store and buy. You know, like a Grandbow.

In narrative terms, something specially crafted from rare materials to exacting standards and invested with magic is going to be expensive; the "prop slots" are meant to represent the expense you put into it.

In game crunch terms, bonuses should cost, as indeed they do in the rulebook. A bow-and-arrow set deals a certain amount of damage. A bow and flint arrow set deals no more damage, but costs more props, because they are immune to steel/iron deflection. You get an in-game benefit, so there's an in-game cost. If you simply got benefits for free, that'd make you unbalanced from your teammates, which isn't fair.

An obsidian axe deals only 3 damage, but costs as much as a koloss blade which does 4; why? Because the obsidian axe has the advantage again of immunity to allomancy.

The Grandbow deals more damage than a bow and arrow, and it has better range. Mechanically, you get a lot of benefits, so there should be a mechanical cost. Narratively, anyone with some wood and string can knock out a decent bow in a couple of hours; a Grandbow requires the work of a skilled artefabrian, a forge, good steel, and an infused gemstone. It would be enormously more expensive than a bow-and-arrow.
Mac

PreviousNext

Return to Locker Room