Pewterblade v Pewterplate

For setting up duels and other Arena discussion.
Mac

Pewterblade v Pewterplate

Post by Mac » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:37 am

Claincy? It won't take long. Also, we need a ref. Hero, do you wanna adjudicate your own rules again?

(And just so I can make sure my version is up to date, do you have the most recent link to the rules? Have they changed since last I checked?)
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Re: Pewterblade v Pewterplate

Post by Herowannabe » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:26 am

They are in the process of changing. I'll try to finish them up and post the updated rules in the next couple days.
Mac

Post by Mac » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:01 am

Claincy: How do we want to handle traits? Will we each simply take 5 traits that will be applicable in literally every attack? I worry that this will skew the purposes of the test-run of the rules. How would you feel if we basically did away with Traits, and just each agree that it will be assumed that every action either of us takes, takes advantage of two Traits?
Claincy
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Claincy » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:09 pm

Yeah I'm still up for this once hero sorts out the latest edition of his rules :)

I think the two trait thing is a good idea. I agree that 5-traits can get silly, and more importantly is unrealistic in terms of what would happen in an actual campaign.

I get the feeling that this one won't require much adjudication so will be a fairly light load for whoever does it, I think we'll probably play this pretty straight.

Edit: thinking about it, as the point is to test the difference between blade and plate when combined with pewter we might as well both run the sample thug from the rulebook, then just add the plate/blade.

Or do we want to include the blade/plate as part of a standard starting character and work from there? Thinking about it more, part of the debate was that the pewterblade could still take plate armour and get some pretty good damage resistance of his own.
Mac

Post by Mac » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:59 pm

Seeing as I've mostly made my character in the Lockerroom already, I'm in favor of making new characters.

In Bowen's last iteration of the rules, there were rules to make a character start with either Blade or Plate, and a separate power, I believe, which are the rules for which I had made my guy.

It remains my contention that in a more absolute sense, starting the game with both Plate and Blade is not only preposterously unbalanced from a mechanical perspective, but opposing to the narrative since they are weaponry reserved for the exclusive use of the highest nobles in the land, not someone starting as a 1st level character. This is moot to our duel, as we'll be starting on equal footing. Just something I thought I'd mention.

I've added some more math to my assessment of the last match. It's difficult math and I'm not yet done, but what I've got is starting to make it look very unlikely that Ser could ever have landed a single blow, let alone as many as it would take to reduce Xhadar's defense pool below 10, let alone enough to actually kill him, in the time before he ran out of flared Steel.
Mac

Post by Mac » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:33 am

Bowen:

A minor point you may wish to mention in your Shardbearer rules: Remember that you retain tactile sense, a least through the gloves, per Dalinar in the first chapter of section 2 of Way of Kings, Unity. Presumably it would have been mentioned if this meant that cracked Plate caused you to experience pain, so I don't think it's the case.
Mac

Post by Mac » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:23 pm

Claincy. Shall we?
Claincy
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Claincy » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:57 am

Yes. Finally got time/energy to put a character up. I have a feeling that maybe pewterplate has an edge in a direct combat like this, but I could be wrong on that. (I don't know if that was my expressed attitude before either, but it is now :P)

Do you have any concerns with Zareth?
Mac

Post by Mac » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:33 pm

None; give me a few hours to wake up and eat something and research Bowen's latest rules, and I'll adjust Dannek to be street-legal.

EDIT: I've made adjustments, but I want to ponder a few options. I'll have him done, for real, by the end of today (i.e. prolly by the time you wake up, Claincy).

EDIT 2: Okay. I believe I'm ready to begin now if you are, Claincy. I propose the following:

First, we each get the chance to make our Resource rolls and see what we get.

Second, we begin in an empty, circular arena with a sand floor, at Striking range of each other.

Any concerns with either proposition?
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:32 pm

I would suggest that you resolve resources without making any rolls- don't want to tip the scales one way or the other based on a lucky resource roll before the match even starts

Return to “The Stands”