Volencio vs. Sigurd

For setting up duels and other Arena discussion.

Postby Herowannabe » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:10 pm

Hey Kurkistan, Volencio is done now and ready to go. Or well, almost. I need to do some resource rolls. I'll take care of those right now.

A few proposals before we begin:

Judge: It would be good to get somebody to be our impartial judge/mediator, as I suspect we will get into some tricky situations. (Any volunteers?)

Atium: are you alright using the guidelines I settled on in This post? Yes I do plan on using atium in this match, if my resource rolls are kind to me.

Traits: I suggest to sticking to applying a max of 2 traits per action, as per the MAGs suggestion. In addition, I say each trait and burden can only be used once per beat, but I have no problem with spreading multiple traits across a couple different actions/defense rolls during the same beat.

Arena: any preference for the setting of our duel? I don't have any real preference, as long as it doesn't blatantly favor one of us over the other.

Edit: ...and I finally went and looked at Sigurd to see what I would be up against. :roll: well this will be a quick match.
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Kurkistan » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:35 am

I'm fine with everything, though also don't have any idea as to the Arena: maybe something with a courtyard? So an open space, but some room for maneuver/concealment/ducking if it comes to it.

Regarding atium: yeah, well... Sigurd may or may not be an Oracle. How do we want to play that interaction? Harsh (but RAW, I'd mostly say...) readings would have that rendering the atium useless while leaving the electrum perfectly fine. Something more fair might be a mutual loss of utility.
-So far as the books themselves go, electrum is never shown to have any utility whatsoever except for nullifying atium, so it's not exactly easy to guess if it lost some degree of (nonexistent, so far as Vin/Elend were concerned) utility when facing atium. It wouldn't be absurd to guess that it would, though.

So yeah, Sigurd... want me to roll something else up before we fight? On that note, how should we hand his props: just have me give him non-AoL gear?
Kurkistan
Narrator
Narrator

Postby Herowannabe » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:05 pm

Re: Electrum vs Atium
Yeah, the RAW part has always seemed like a huge oversight to me. I mean think about it. I burn Atium and you burn Electrum. We BOTH see a big cloud of shadows spring up around you. We both have access to the same information, so there is no reason it should benefit one of us any more than the other.

Just re-read the Atium and Electrum rules. Yeah, I'm of the opinion that they should either just cancel out in the way described in Atium. Namely: my Atium bonus is reduced by your Electrum score and your Electrum bonus is reduced by my Atium. (EDIT: that way it still leaves room for one character to be more skilled at reading and interpreting future shadows than the other, reflected by a higher Atium/electrum score).

Also, RAW it seems that Atium does give one bonus that Electrum doesn't cancel- Atium users always get to act first. Really I'm fine saying that Electrum and Atium cancel each other out in this regard and we still go off of the size of our dice supplies.

As for re-rolling your character, I leave that up to you. I was really hoping to test out Atium and see how effective I can make it, but if you have your heart set on aElectrum+fSteel then I don't want to deny you that. ;) I can always do another match afterwards.

Oh, speaking of fSteel I like the house-rule guideline that every 10 charges used to perform a melee attack (or similar action) does 1 damage back to the user. Sound fair?

No need to assign yourself non AoL equipment unless you want to. I don't think that guns and etc are unbalanced against FE era weapons, especially not against a mistborn.
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Kurkistan » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:40 pm

I'm fine with atium and electrum just canceling out. Arguments could be made either way that each still keeps some utility:

:Aside that has nothing to do with how I think we should handle things in the rules:
-Atium lets you see the future of everything and everyone around you, not just your direct opposition -- like when Vin was able to ninja-grab that arrow out of the air to kill Shan. That's what we in the industry call useful information to have.
-Electrum's a bit more on thin ice here (as it ever has been) with regards to utility. One could (and I would) argue that the information from aElectrum's many many shadows (even in non-atium-contending situations) is fundamentally more useful than when you get multiple atium shadows because the Oracle's own behavior and potential behavior entirely determines how the shadows behave, vs. competing atium-burners having to contend with a 3rd party getting all up in their future-seeing business. That argument is less compelling when aElectrum also has to deal with the 3rd party.
:End aside:

So I'm fine with pure cancellation to just simplify things; maybe let atium keep it's "I go first" bonus too, while we're at it, if only because of environmental knowledge.

I've never much liked that fSteel self-damage guideline, myself (particularly if we're factoring in projectile weapons), but then again I might be biased here.

Regardless: I'm not married to using Sigurd, so if you want to just be all awesome with atium I could roll up something else no problem, though it would take a bit longer before we could get started.
Kurkistan
Narrator
Narrator

Postby Herowannabe » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:06 pm

[quote="Kurkistan"].I've never much liked that fSteel self-damage guideline, myself (particularly if we're factoring in projectile weapons), but then again I might be biased here.
/quote]

I agree about projectiles, which is why I said specifically melee attacks, where you are propelling yourself or something you're holding onto to inhuman speeds and smacking into something else. Apply common sense liberally.

Like I said, up to you if you want to make a new character or not. If you want to stick with Sigurd, I'll just hang on to Volencio and try another match afterwards.
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Kurkistan » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:08 pm

Ah yes, you did specify melee attacks. Sorry for not seeing that.

How about we do a round with Sigurd and then if we're still up for it a more realistic round where the atium you spent all your Resources on isn't wasted?
Kurkistan
Narrator
Narrator

Postby Herowannabe » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:58 pm

Sounds great. :)
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Kurkistan » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:41 pm

Sigurd's up and I rolled for some extra items.
Kurkistan
Narrator
Narrator

Postby Kadrok » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:49 am

I might be too biased to judge.
Kadrok
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Postby Mac » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:49 am

If you need a judge, I'm free.
Mac

Next