Match #4: Mad Gunsmith Pakter vs Arthur Avalon Knight

The Arena itself, all duels take place here.
Zath

Match #4: Mad Gunsmith Pakter vs Arthur Avalon Knight

Post by Zath » Tue May 01, 2018 5:09 pm

Alright! Let's get this started. Please remember to keep all your out-of-character stuff in color.

You may each roll Resources for one additional item. You can roll for the item until you succeed or until your Resources score is down to 1. The item must be a plausible choice for the battle -- generally speaking: a weapon, armor, or shield item. You may NOT try to get a Universal Metalmind with this roll, or a catapult, or anything crazy like that. Nice try... ;) Please put which item you're trying for and your rolls for that item in a spoiler tag (OOC tag), and don't look at your opponent's stuff until after you've decided on which item you're going to try for. Pakter's "Inventor" Trait will apply for this Resources roll. Arthur doesn't have any Traits that will apply for this Resources roll, sorry.

If you have any questions, just include it in one of your posts here or shoot me a PM.

The mists clear, finally. It had been a long walk through the swirling white mists, unable to see anything beyond the path leading forward. Now, it is time to fight.

The “arena” is a field of tall, yellow grass, rippling in waves in the soft breeze. Completely surrounding the area is an enormous wall of mist, stretching up to the sky for at least several hundred paces. Behind, there is no evidence of an entrance or of the path that had led here. A small stone, thrown to test this wall of mist, bounces off of the white streamers as though it had hit a brick wall. There would be no retreating from this battle.

A careful study of the field reveals that it is roughly triangular in shape. It has a slight incline, with both combatants near the top, opposite of each other. There’s a small, rocky ridge about midway down, partially interrupting the gentle slope. At the bottom of the hill, about 300 paces away, is a tiny, stone cottage. It looks weathered but sturdy. A little ways off from the cottage is a shepherd and a small flock of sheep. The scent of the woolly livestock is faint, mixed with the smell of the grass.

The shepherd looks back at the combatants for a few moments, and then sits down on a nearby boulder. It’s hard to tell at this distance, but the shepherd doesn’t seem too surprised to see them, and is apparently content to just sit and watch what happens next.

Here's a rough map of the battlefield:
Pakter vs Avalon arena.png
Pakter vs Avalon arena.png (19.37 KiB) Viewed 356 times
Make your Resources roll(s) first, and then you can describe what your characters' initial actions will be.

Since Pakter has the lower Wits score, Der Alleskrieg will declare first throughout this Conflict, and then Skullduggery as Arthur Avalon.

You guys excited? I'm excited. 3:D
Skullduggery

Re: Match #4: Mad Gunsmith Pakter vs Arthur Avalon Knight

Post by Skullduggery » Wed May 02, 2018 3:46 pm

resource rolls?
Zath

Post by Zath » Wed May 02, 2018 4:54 pm

Skullduggery wrote:resource rolls?
You can spend Resources for one additional item if you want, but you don't have to. Honestly, both of your characters are pretty well equipped already. Just thought I'd give you guys the option to use your incredibly high Resources scores.
Skullduggery

Post by Skullduggery » Thu May 03, 2018 6:56 am

So I could hire extras?
Last edited by Skullduggery on Sat May 05, 2018 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zath

Post by Zath » Thu May 03, 2018 2:11 pm

No hiring Extras. Sorry.
@Skullduggery only:
Out Of Character: Click to revealShow
You could buy a horse, but the horse would NOT be an Extra character; for this battle, I'd treat it as a Tool that adds a single die to certain actions.
You can purchase one item, but that's all you can do with your Resources right now. The item must be something that your character would reasonably have access to.

EDIT: In case it wasn't clear, Pakter and Arthur will be at Long Range from each other when the battle begins.
Last edited by Zath on Sun May 06, 2018 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skullduggery

Post by Skullduggery » Fri May 04, 2018 7:08 am

Gonna buy a horse then
Skullduggery rolled 8d6:
2, 5, 4, 5, 5, 3, 5, 4
resources 7 + 1 (knight)
Skullduggery rolled 8d6:
3, 5, 2, 3, 2, 4, 2, 5
Last edited by Skullduggery on Sat May 05, 2018 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zath

Post by Zath » Fri May 04, 2018 2:24 pm

@Skullduggery only:
Please edit your last post so that "Gonna buy a horse, then" and your dice roll is in an OOC box. Then, before the OOC box, put "Der Alleskrieg, don't look at this OOC box until after you've decided on an item you want and made your Resources roll(s)."
That way your choice won't affect Der Alleskrieg's decision about which item he wants to try for.

Anyways, a Result of 5 beats the Difficulty, so that's a success! Arthur bought/brought a horse in preparation for this battle. Feel free to name it and grow emotionally attached to it.

@Der Alleskrieg: Okay, you're next. If there's one more item you want for this battle, go ahead and make Resources rolls until you succeed or until your Resources score is down to 1.
After that (or if you don't want to buy an additional item), please declare your first action for the Conflict. Pakter and Arthur are currently at Long Range from each other.
Der Alleskrieg

Post by Der Alleskrieg » Wed May 09, 2018 4:47 pm

Der Alleskrieg rolled 7d6:
1, 1, 2, 2, 4, 2, 6
Don't know what I'm rolling for, but we'll see what I get.

Edit: Since hunter's traps have a difficulty of 2 and I got 1 nudge on my roll, I'd like 2 of those
Zath

Post by Zath » Thu May 10, 2018 4:33 pm

@Der Alleskrieg: Actually, you have to decide which item you want before you roll. Otherwise, anyone could cheat the system and never suffer any complications from failing a roll for a high-Difficulty item.

It doesn't really matter in this case, though, so I'll let it slide. Pakter gets two "hunter's traps" items. Hooray for you!

Okay, Resources rolls are done, so let's move on to the battle. Der Alleskrieg, you declare your action first (since Pakter has a lower Wits score than Arthur's).

FYI, Pakter and Arthur are at Long Range from each other. This first Beat will be about 20 to 30 seconds long.
[/color]
Zath

Post by Zath » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:03 pm

Okay, this battle was meant to be a quick one-shot thing, but it's been quite a while now, so we're moving forward. @Der Alleskrieg, sorry! When you have enough time for it, I'll narrate another Arena battle for you.

Round 1

Pakter pulls on the reins to bring his mule to a halt and hops down off his cart. He crouches behind it, resting the barrel of his Ashmouth on the cart's side. He targets the armored man on the other side of the grassy hilltop and smiles to himself. This will be an excellent field test for his new weapon. Pakter breathes out slowly and then pulls the trigger...

Pakter will be shooting at Avalon. He gets 9 Action Dice (6 Physique + Deadly Aim + Steady Hands + Cart item).

@Skullduggery, go ahead and declare Avalon's action for this Conflict Round, and then make your attack and defense rolls inside an OOC box. So it should look something like this:

Bob throws his knife at Dave.

Bob gets 7 Action Dice (6 Physique + Whatever).
Attack/defense rolls:
4 dice to attack:
Zath rolled 4d6:
4, 6, 3, 6

3 dice to defend:
Zath rolled 3d6:
1, 4, 3

Does that make sense?

Return to “The Arena”