Match #4: Mad Gunsmith Pakter vs Arthur Avalon Knight

The Arena itself, all duels take place here.
Skullduggery

Re: Match #4: Mad Gunsmith Pakter vs Arthur Avalon Knight

Post by Skullduggery » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:46 am

4 dice for attack + 2 charges of Steel + Outcome (10 charges of Steel)
Skullduggery rolled 6d6:
3, 6, 4, 1, 5, 5

3 dice for defense + 2 from shield + 5 charges of Steel
Skullduggery rolled 10d6:
4, 4, 3, 4, 5, 6, 3, 1, 4, 4
Zath

Post by Zath » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:45 pm

Pakter didn't roll any defense, so Arthur's attack Result of 6 with a Nudge is more than enough to cut the mule free from the cart. You may use the Nudge to inflict 1 damage on Pakter, if you'd like.

Pakter's attack happens first though, and his Result of 5nnnn beats Arthur's defense of 4n, so...

Pakter's Ashmouth blasted fire and smoke, launching its deadly shot right at the tiny gap in Arthur's armor.
BOOM! CRACK!
The bullet hit home, slipping past the knight's shield to rip off a chunk of flesh from just below his left arm. The shot also clipped the edge of the steel plate with enough force to send a jagged crack down the side.
Pakter grunted in grim satisfaction and then quickly reloaded his gun.

Arthur takes 4 damage, reducing his Health from 12 to 8, which is enough for the Serious Burden: "gash below left arm". Your plate armor still works, but it is damaged, so another Called Shot (or a really bad roll on Arthur's part) could destroy it completely.

Suddenly, the knight blurred and sped forward so fast that Pakter lost sight of him for a second. The tall grass bent and waved crazily in Arthur's wake, pulled by his slipstream. Reaching the front of the cart in the blink of an eye, Arthur swept his sword with blinding speed through the reins and rope that connected the mule to the cart. The mule brayed in fright and took off in the direction of the small flock of sheep. The cart, no longer balanced by the mule, tipped forward sharply. The front end dug into the ground, and with a surprised shout Pakter was thrown into the air. The cart flipped over entirely, crushing the grass in its path for several paces before finally grinding to a halt.

So the mule has run off, the cart is stuck and can't be moved until someone flips it back upright, and Pakter did NOT take a step away from Arthur this Round. Again, you may spend your Nudge to inflict 1 damage to Pakter if you want to.
You've used 17 charges of Steel (8 charges of Steel left).

Round 5
You're currently at Striking Range from Pakter. Your horse has mostly forgiven you and trotted back to your side, so you can use it again this Round if you want (though mounting it will count as a negative condition).

Pakter picked himself up, cursing under his breath. Seeing Arthur standing close by, Pakter cursed more loudly and backed away, aiming his gun at the knight's left side. The gash there would make it harder for Arthur to dodge or block Pakter's shot.

Pakter is taking a step away from Arthur and shooting at him.
Pakter has 8 Action Dice total (6 Physique + Deadly Aim + Steady Hands + Arthur's Serious Burden - movement).

(If you tap 10 charges of Gold to heal that Serious Burden, Pakter will only get 7 Action Dice this round.)
Skullduggery

Post by Skullduggery » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:01 am

Might be missing something obvious. Something I often do, however from your wording now it makes it seem like because you “spent” the nudges to succeed on a called shot. (Weird wording. Does nudges have to be spent to succeed. I though you only needed to roll them and then you spend them for other effects too) that leaves 2 nudges and because of house rule 3 nudges is needed for +2 Damage? Also any damage taken from the speedster tapping?
Zath

Post by Zath » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:04 pm

It doesn't say so explicitly in the rules, but I'm pretty sure that the 2 Nudges needed for a Called Shot can't be used for anything else. That's how I'm going to rule it, in any case.

The Called Shot was to bypass Arthur's armor, so it didn't give you any damage reduction from Pakter's attack.
Pakter's attack dealt 1 base damage + 3 damage from the gun, for 4 damage total. None of the Nudges were used to increase damage.
But you're right that with my house rule it would've taken 3 Nudges to further increase that damage by 2.

Your Outcome was high enough (and Arthur's sword was sharp enough) that Arthur doesn't take any damage from his speedster-cutting-the-mule-free-from-the-cart action.

And I don't mind explaining things, plus I'm still pretty new to Narrating (PLUS it's part of my duty as Narrator to explain things), so if you're ever confused about something or need something clarified, feel free to ask. :)
Skullduggery

Post by Skullduggery » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:07 am

Anything you want to do with those two nudges? The attack nudge I am using to inflict on 1damage (if the armor wouldnt reduce it to 0). Defensive nudge can not be spent if you fail to defend correct
Zath

Post by Zath » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:05 pm

The last two Nudges were used to damage Arthur's steel plate armor. Sorry, I didn't make that clear at all. :oops:
Zath wrote:Your plate armor still works, but it is damaged, so another Called Shot (or a really bad roll on Arthur's part) could destroy it completely.

Your attack roll Nudge will make Pakter take one damage from his fall, putting his Health down to 7.

And that's correct: because your defense roll failed, you can't use that Nudge.
Skullduggery

Post by Skullduggery » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:26 am

Thought the called shot was the damage of the plate
Zath

Post by Zath » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:19 pm

Pakter's Called Shot was to hit Arthur in a spot that was not protected by the steel plate (i.e. under his arm). In the rules for Called Shots it says:
MAG pg 201 wrote:If the attack succeeds with at least two Nudges it hits as desired and applies the effect as agreed. With four or more Nudges the Called Shot has a greater effect...

Because Pakter got 4 Nudges, his attack got past Arthur's armor and damaged the armor in the process.
Skullduggery

Post by Skullduggery » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:11 pm

Sorry for not replying. Decided on taking a break for the summer
Zath

Post by Zath » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:31 pm

That's fine, thanks for letting me know. :)

Return to “The Arena”