Match #3: Mistborn vs Steelectrum

The Arena itself, all duels take place here.
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Re: Match #3: Mistborn vs Steelectrum

Post by Herowannabe » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:04 pm

*Blows the dust off of this*

So... where were we? I was actually looking something up in the MAG the other day and stumbled across this on page 174:

STEP 1: DECLARE ACTIONS AND DETERMINE AVAILABLE DICE
At the start of each round, the Narrator and other players describe their characters’ intended actions. They start with the character with the lowest Wits and end with the character with the highest Wits (allowing characters with the best response time to go last). When characters have the same Wits, the Nar- rator chooses their order, commonly favoring character(s) whose locations are unknown, and those with a logical or plausible edge over their opponents. These favored characters describe their actions last (so they know their opponents’ actions before deciding their own).

Regardless of their Wits, characters who are surprised — perhaps due to a failed Contest before the start of the Conflict — always declare their actions before the characters getting the drop on them.

Without surprise, Extras in groups tend to telegraph their actions and rarely get the drop on Heroes and Villains. When a group of Extras includes characters with different Wits scores, the group declares based on the lowest Wits among them.

Example: Koel and Thorrow get the drop on the Bylerum Boys, interrupting a private chat they’re having with the only Hasting who remained behind, a taciturn bureaucrat named Ignus. Three house guards are posted in the hallway outside.

Brandon­ breaks­ down­ the­ order:­ Ignus­ is­ the­ first­ to­ declare,­ with­ Wits­ 2­ (there’s ­a ­reason ­he ­was ­the ­on ­left behind).­Then­ come­ Cordal ­Bylerum­ (Wits­3),­ the­ house ­guards­ (Wits­4),­ Carrow­ Bylerum ­(Wits­5),­ Koel­ (Wits­3­ with surprise),­ and­ finally­ Thorrow­ (Wits­ 4­ with­ surprise).

So according to the book, I automatically declare first since you're getting the drop on me. Hmm. Not really much of an advantage for Sig. So, and this isn't technically how the rules are written, but I say we give Vol half-dice (like when changing your action mid-beat) to defend against Sig's attack. Sound good?

Vol is burning Tin and looking for Sig. Once Sig starts chucking chunks of wood at him, Vol will try to dodge out of the way. Flared Steel + "Quick Reflexes" trait = 6 / 2 = 3D for defense. I'm going to assume you're good with all of this and go ahead and roll below:
Out Of Character: Click to revealShow
Herowannabe rolled 3d6:
2, 2, 1

Kurkistan
Narrator
Narrator

Post by Kurkistan » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:48 am

Sig will be chucking a bunch of pieces of wood at your face.

*Reads back over thread*

Okay so that's 4 chunks of wood with every 2 charges of steel I tap for dice costing me a chunk.

So that's base 5 for Physique + 1 for Mercenary - 1 for Close range combat/using improvised weapons, total 5.

--

Then actions happen and I go first.

I'll kick it up to 10 with 5 dice (so using all of my chunks of wood, if we round up) and then tap 3 sets of 5 for Nudges.

Kurkistan rolled 10d6:
2, 3, 4, 3, 5, 6, 6, 1, 2, 6

3n6 :shock:

Assuming this is all how we want it, I'll roll now and deduce the 20 from my charge-tracking when you confirm.
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:57 pm

OUCH! I take it that you are committing all of those nudges to damage for 7 damage total? I'll go ahead and proceed to narrate it like that, but if you want to do something else with those nudges just let me know and I'll edit it.

Volencio begins burning Tin, listening for any signs of his opponent's movements in the Keep. He doesn't have to listen for long.

"For Lola!" Sigurd bellows from Volencio's right. Volencio turns in time to catch a glimpse of something whizzing past his head at a blinding speed, with several more projectiles right behind it. Volencio pushes himself to the side, trying to avoid the projectiles, but he isn't fast enough.

The second projectile grazes the Mistborn's arm, spinning him around and throwing him off balance. The third one goes wide, barely, missing by a hands-breadth. The fourth one catches Volencio square in the throat however, hurling him backwards. Volencio's vision flashes black and he flares his Tin and Pewter, the shock of it jerking him back to full consciousness. He finds himself on the pavement in the courtyard gasping for breath- his windpipe is a mess, but with flared Pewter he is able to force away the blackness of unconsciousness and soldier on. He pushes himself back to his feet and burns Atium. Volencio looks back up at the balcony where the projectiles had come from and sees Sigurd standing there, smiling smugly.

To recap, Volencio is currently burning Steel and Atium, and is flaring Tin and Pewter.
His Health is now -3/8, or 2/13 with flared Pewter.
He has 2 burdens: a serious burden (currently ignored because of flared Pewter) and a Grave burden (crushed windpipe).

Next beat- Lets see, we decided that with Atium and Electrum canceling each other out that we declare at the same time, right? Yes, especially since we're both at Wits 3.

So, for this beat Volencio will:
Try (probably in vain) to return the favor by steelpushing a handful of coins at Sigurd. Actually, no, scratch that. Let's have some fun and try pull Sigurd off of the balcony with flared iron, hopefully getting some good falling damage. 3:D For easy reference, here are my thoughts on falling damage:
Falling
Characters who fall take damage according to this chart. If the situation warrants it, they can attempt a roll against the difficulty listed to reduce the "distance fallen" by 1 level, with each nudge reducing damage by one additional point.

Distance fallen / Range equivalent - damage suffered - Difficulty

0 Paces / Standing (Touch) - 1 Damage - 0
1-2 Paces / Striking - 2 Damage - 1
3-10 Paces / Close - 4 Damage - 2
11-100 Paces / Medium - 8 Damage - 3
100-300 Paces / Long - 16 Damage - 4
300+ Paces / Extreme - Death - 5

Volencio will also steelpush himself 1 step into the air. That gives Volencio 5 Action dice for Flared Iron. No traits apply that I can see. Maybe "glory and conquest," but that's iffy.

Kurkistan
Narrator
Narrator

Post by Kurkistan » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:52 pm

Yikes, that was a fairly lucky shot. Things might end... quickly now. 8-)

Okay, so I've got 100 charges left and can use 40 a beat. Somehow I doubt this is going to last more than 3 beats, so let's go nova.

You've already declared, so I'll just write in the clear:
Sigurd will be leaping out of the window (I'll take the damage) at super-speed and curb-stomping Volencio in the face with a hatchet. Let's say he circles around a bit so Vol has to turn his head to follow and his crushed throat distracts him. EDIT: I forgot to say this before I read your post, but I also intend to tap at least one group of 10 to be able to get within Striking without a negative Circumstance and with some extra Outcome..

Base 5 + 2 for Traits + 2 for the Grave Burden = 9. Tap two charges of fSteel individually before actions to advance in the action order (by my math the most you could have declared with is 10, assuming Pewter and 2 traits) to 11.
---
*Sees Hero's declaration*

Okay, so might have overdone the action-order stuff.

Do we have any rules disputes to settle, or shall we move to the hatcheting?
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:18 pm

Yeah we can move ahead. Yeah I sure guessed wrong this round, ha ha. :roll:

Volencio flares his iron and prepares to yank his opponent off the balcony, then blinks in surprise as Sigurd leaps off the balcony of his own accord. In the space of that eye-blink Sigurd has covered half the distance between them and now holds a hatchet in his hand. Volencio frantically shifts his aim, Pulling himself to the side and out of the path of the hatchet-wielding maniac. Hopefully.

Defense dice:
throwing it all in to defense. Quick reflexes kicks in for an extra die. 6D total.

Defense roll:
Herowannabe rolled 6d6:
6, 3, 4, 5, 5, 2

EDIT: 5n! Woot, I have a chance!

Attack dice
nothing to roll

Attack roll
still nothing to roll.

Kurkistan
Narrator
Narrator

Post by Kurkistan » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:44 pm

"LOOOOLAAAAAAAA!"

Losing all composure, Sigurd drains nearly half of his metalmind, feeling the air tear at his eyes and the skin of his feet chafe off as he hits the ground already travelling faster than a speeding train.

So we're saying 2 damage for the jump/fall? Leaving Sig with 6/9 health and dealing a Serious Burden of Bruised Feet.

EDIT: Although this does raise an interesting question of whether the fall should have triggered aElectrum dice.

---

Now for the attack.

Sig's tapped 2 charges of fSteel this beat and has 9 dice. I'll tap 1 more to pull me up to a full pool of 10, for 37 left at max. 10 to close the distance and get +1 outcome. 20 more because why not. 5 to go to a Nudge leaving two left over to add to any defense I might need to roll. Total of 10 dice with +3 Outcome and 1 free Nudge.

Kurkistan rolled 10d6:
6, 4, 2, 5, 1, 1, 5, 2, 2, 1

EDIT: Soooo... 8n2. A bit of an abrupt end to it all. Nudges towards adding a macabre flourish, I suppose, and retrieving/protecting Lola's sad corpse while I'm at it?
-I really do promise I wasn't peeking at your dice or anything with how many extra Outcome I poured on. Mostly I wanted to be sure to finish it before you could get airborne again.

Do you want to do the honors or should I, Hero?
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:30 am

Nicely done, Kurkistan. I still think that with tapping 30+ charges specifically for the purpose of inflicting injury on me some of that damage should bounce back on you, too. But oh well. ;)

Since you won, I will let you do the honors. Good match!
Kurkistan
Narrator
Narrator

Post by Kurkistan » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:53 am

Well I can't exactly let my tactical genius take credit for winning a match using the most broken Feruchemical power + perhaps the most versatile Allomantic combination with it (particularly against a character that was planning on using atium (effectively) the whole match), but thanks.

So far as damage goes, I had thought that you'd come to a consensus that it was mostly Nudges tapped for damage that should be dangerous; I only actually ended up dealing 2 damage (base +1) for that last hit. But yeah, doesn't really matter in this context.

The noble tried to dodge. How quaint.

Sig was pouring weeks worth of stored speed into this one moment. He could catch a fly out of the air, move faster than sight, nearly outrun bullets. This pre-historic tyrant might as well have been a manequin before him.

Sigurd ignored the pain in his feet and dodged behind the noble, letting the mistborn's own ironpull bring that noble neck into range. With a single brutal motion, he finished what the chunk of wood had started, finally overcoming pewter's unnatural strength.

Craddling a bruised hand and limping on torn feet, Sigurd bent down and carried Lola's remains out of the courtyard, the crowd left shocked into silence behind him.

Any interest in a less unreasonable round 2, still? I'm fine playing a less-BS power combo.

P.S. You might want to adjust your font color. It's a bit too bright; the one
all the way to the left and one row up on the color scale might do the trick a bit better, as a suggestion.
Last edited by Kurkistan on Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:09 am

Mac was the one who ruled that only tapping for excess nudges bounced damage back on the owner. I still think that every 10 charges in melee combat, regardless of what they're used for, ought to bounce 1 damage back (well, unless they're used strictly for taking extra steps). But that's just me.

Anyway, I may be up for a rematch sometime. I'm going to hold off for the time being though and save my attention for other projects/adventures.

EDIT: And I like my orange. Orange is kinda my color. This shade doesn't strain my eyes on my computer or my smartphone- is it hard for you to read?
Kurkistan
Narrator
Narrator

Post by Kurkistan » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:01 am

I'm definitely getting some eyestrain from it. I usually end up highlighting your text so there's more contrast. That could just be me, though.

Return to “The Arena”