Match #3: Mistborn vs Steelectrum

The Arena itself, all duels take place here.
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Match #3: Mistborn vs Steelectrum

Post by Herowannabe » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:54 am

Volencio Mandrue shot through the air making a circuit of the Venture Keep and the courtyard below. Spectators had gathered on the walls, balconies, and at windows to watch the match. Volencio waved to the cheering crowds, and spotting his wife, Erelle, sitting with their son, Desmen, he winked and blew a kiss.

Dropping a coin he alighted in the center of the courtyard- the appointed spot for the dual. In quick succession he quaffed both his metal vials, then hesitated with a third at his lips. It held a single bead of Atium- a small fortune. But Volencio would need it- his opponent was a gifted "twinborn" with powerful technologies and weapons at his disposal. Volencio swallowed the bead, then tossed the empty vial aside. He was as ready as he would ever be.
Kurkistan
Narrator
Narrator

Re: Match #3: Mistborn vs Steelectrum

Post by Kurkistan » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:51 am

Sigurd has been having an unpleasant few weeks.

There he'd been, minding his own business hunting down one villain or another, when a madman popped out of thin air in front of him.

The madman had screamed something about "Localized POWER Transfer! It worked! I'm in the FUTURE!!!!", then he'd tossed aside some kind of gadget he'd been holding. The gadget was glowing. The toss happened to be towards Sigurd, and when the device hit the ground infront of Sigurd there'd been a bang and a lurch and all the sudden the twinborn was standing hip deep in a pile of ash and the sun was red.
Out Of Character: Click to revealShow
So yes it's all Jastes' fault.
---

And now, after tearing his way through half of the past in a search for a way back—if there still was a "back", as Sigurd was fairly certain he'd accidentally killed his great-great-great-etc.-grandfather (the cad had tried to steal Lola!) the other day—Sigurd is chasing down yet another lead. A mysterious figure had approached him and claimed that winning this exhibition match today would let him return home. Of course Sigurd didn't really believe the man, but all of his shadows that had either said no or attempted to accost the figure had... not done well, so here he was.

He strides into the keep, ignoring the stares that all the ignorant screwheads are giving his boomstick. They'd see Lola in action soon enough: he still has a few Hazekiller rounds that he's been saving for a special occasion, and what better occasion than killing a myth.

Sigurd's in the courtyard too, at Long range. Electrum vial swallowed and 8 of 10 Coinshot rounds loaded into the shotgun.

I'll declare second (because Wits) and act second (because atium), I believe?
Last edited by Kurkistan on Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:10 am

Volencio isn't burning Atium... Yet. 30 seconds doesn't last long and I want to try to make it count. So you declare last and we act whenever the action dice dictate. :)

Also, I say we keep any lack of knowledge of secret technologies and powers strictly to roleplay purposes. It's no fun winning or losing a match just because your character didn't know what that little stick with the sparking burning wire coming out of it was. ;)
Upon seeing his opponent enter the courtyard, Volencio began burning pewter, iron, steel, and bronze. Tin wouldn't be needed with this much daylight, plus reports from House Mandrue's spy network said those weapons he carried were loud. Volencio kept his Atium in reserve, too. On a whim though he burned Zinc, rioting the excitement and anticipation of the nearby spectators. He then extinguished his zinc, dropped a coin, and pushed himself into the air towards the man known only as Sigurd.
First beat: action: moving 1 step towards Sigurd to close the gap to medium range, and doing full defense.
Kurkistan
Narrator
Narrator

Post by Kurkistan » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:44 am

I'm fine with everyone knowing what they're up against, but actually I'll have to argue that, at least the first shot, your guy have no clue what's about to happen to him with regards to the Coinshot rounds.

The AoL book quite directly calls out that they register like normal bullets to Coinshots (like Vin and the arrowheads+rings), so that first attempt to use aSteel to deflect them is essentially an auto-fail. For this singular and particular case, then, surprise is built into the mechanics rather than into the narrative.

Coinshot Ammunition: These bullets have ceramic tips, designed to detach
from the metal jacket when a Coinshot Pushes on it, and continue on its way. The
rounds provide a vital element of surprise, as Coinshots will detect the metal in
the bullet, assume they can block it, and play right into the shooter’s hands. These
rounds cannot be affected by the use of Allomantic Steel or any of its Stunts (such
as Steel Deflection — see the Mistborn Adventure Game, page 313).

Well this'll be easier than I thought.

Sigurd lifts Lola and tries prepares to blast the mistborn out of the sky once he gets into range.
Base 5 + 2 for Traits (Mercenary and Make a Name for Myself), total 7. All into the attack.
Kurkistan rolled 7d6:
4, 6, 3, 1, 6, 1, 4

So if we're going "one free surprise", that'll be 1+2+2 for Nudges = 5 of 12 Pewter-enhanced health, for a Serious Burden.

P.S. Now that I think of it, if we'd been allowing fSteel to add to gunplay damage I could have just killed you right there with very little chance of failure. Just tap for 8 Nudges and all I'd need was 1 "natural" Nudge and a pair off of the 7 dice to get lethal. :twisted:
Last edited by Kurkistan on Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:38 pm

re: coinshot rounds: That all sounds fair enough. I won't bother to roll my first defense roll against your coinshot rounds then.

However. ;)

Sigurd would technically act first, meaning that at the time he shoots Volencio is out of range. Or, if Volencio goes first because of whatever, he will change his action to staying at long range and just steelpushing up into the air (full half defense).
Kurkistan
Narrator
Narrator

Post by Kurkistan » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:54 pm

Regarding range: I'd just been treating it as a readied action of sorts: Sigurd's "action" is to wait for his foe to get in range, then fire.

If you'd prefer, I could just have Sigurd move forward a Step.
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Kadrok » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:30 pm

Kurkistan wrote:Sigurd has been having an unpleasant few weeks.

There he'd been, minding his own business hunting down one villain or another, when a madman popped out of thin air in front of him.

The madman had screamed something about "Localized POWER Transfer! It worked! I'm in the FUTURE!!!!", then he'd tossed aside some kind of gadget he'd been holding. The gadget was glowing. The toss happened to be towards Sigurd, and when the device hit the ground infront of Sigurd there'd been a bang and a lurch and all the sudden the twinborn was standing hip deep in a pile of ash and the sun was red.
FOR SCIENCE!!! And power. Mostly power.
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:20 am

Kurkistan wrote:Regarding range: I'd just been treating it as a readied action of sorts: Sigurd's "action" is to wait for his foe to get in range, then fire.

If you'd prefer, I could just have Sigurd move forward a Step.
The readied action works for me. However, I really am changing my declared action and not moving into range this beat (Sorry, didn't think things through when I declared and I don't really want to give you a free attack before I can do anything about it). So yeah, you can redeclare your action this beat and halve your dice pool, or IIRC you can tap 10 charges of steel and take a step for free and then shoot me with your full dice pool, or you can wait until next round and we'll move into range and both attack each other.
Kurkistan
Narrator
Narrator

Post by Kurkistan » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:18 am

Le sigh. Rules.

Okay, so here's my understanding of the order of operations here:
1. You declare an action
2. I declare an action
--
3. I act
4. You act

So, in-game, what's happening is that Sigurd sees you about to jump towards him. Then Sigurd decides he'll just wait and shoot at you when you get in range. Volencio sees this intention.

Then Sigurd's turn to "act" comes up and he follows through on his intention to wait and shoot you in a second when you move, which intention he formed just a moment ago.

Then Volencio's turn to act comes up. At this point, Volencio knows that Sigurd's intention is to not move and then fire when Volencio gets in range. Volencio does not know about the Coinshot rounds.

So you're saying that, given this state of knowledge on Volencio's part, Volencio is deciding that he'd prefer instead to remain at a the same distance from Sigurd, and just hover above a coin.

Have I got everything right here?
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:07 pm

basically yeah. Volencio is about to rush in until he perceives Sigurd getting ready to shoot him, and decides to keep his distance instead.

Return to “The Arena”