Match #3: Mistborn vs Steelectrum

The Arena itself, all duels take place here.
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Re: Match #3: Mistborn vs Steelectrum

Post by Herowannabe » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:10 am

re: beats- Volencio spent one beat trying (and failing) to taunt Sigurd, that's what you're missing to get everything back in sync.

So to be perfectly clear, things happened like this:
-Vol stole Lola, Sig ran inside
-Vol smashed Lola, Sig found stairs
-Vol taunted Sig, Sig moved to upper floors
-Vol searched for Sig, Sig chopped some wood.
-current beat, trying to figure out how best to handle Sig's sneak-attack.
Mac

Post by Mac » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:31 pm

Kay. I know someone mentioned the possibility of a free attack round. In my head, that would be warranted if, for example. Vol was camping out in the woods, may or may not have known it was dangerous, failed to notice Sig's approach and Sig attacked out of nowhere. Considering that you're both in combat, and that Vol knows you're somewhere in the keep, even if he doesn't know exactly where you are right now or what you're about to do, I would say giving you a positive circumstance is a fair advantage. He's got a single direction he's watching, and Sig is hampered by the fact that he can only attack from the one, maybe two windows that will give him enough linear run-up room to turn himself into a cannon.

By my reckoning you got 4 chunks, yes? Since we've already established that the only way Steel can assist you in this attack is to throw more chunks at once, that means you can apply at most 8 charges of steel to the attack, correct? Does that include Nudges?

So basically, since Vol is looking for you and expecting you, I could see a valid Declaration to be, "I have some coins ready to fire at you as soon as I see you". Sig already has the positive circumstance to go along with his sneakliness.

And thank you for reminding me of the missing Beat I'd forgotten!

(Not that it matters, since the last die didn't change anything, but I feel as though "close combat" doesn't actually apply when you're attacking furniture. It's not gonna dodge or fight back.)
Kurkistan
Narrator
Narrator

Post by Kurkistan » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:16 am

The question at hand is also partially one of metal burning. How have we decided on that front?
-Even if there'd been no flaring so far, Vol's Pewter is going to run out after 10 minutes total. And the Atium lasts 30 seconds. So we know that he's not flaring Pewter and it's even a question whether he's burning pewter at all. So of course it's reasonable for Vol to start burning when he's actively threatened, but he's not going to be floating there for 5 minutes burning through his scarce Pewter with a declared action of "attack Sig if I see him". Thus the discussion of surprise.

So far as fSteel and the chunks go, my understanding was that we'd already settled that throwing the extra chunks was to be how we modeled tapping fSteel for extra dice, rather than Nudges/Outcome. As you yourself say, Mac, part of the equation is the cannon-style run-up (Nudges/Outcome); the other part is throwing multiple chunks (extra dice). So if I wanted I could tap 0 charges for dice, a lot for Nudges, and only thrown 1 chunk total.
Mac

Post by Mac » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:25 pm

I have not been given the impression that this was a 5-minute gap. Vol checked for Sig, and didn't find him. I can't see that taking more than fifteen seconds or so. If we're now going to talk about this taking five minutes, Vol should be given more opportunities to check for you, or possibly allowed to simply "take 10" as they say in DnD and assume he's got enough time to find you.

Tapping for dice and nudges... yes, that's pretty much the model I had in mind. I think we're all on the same page there.

I don't personally see it as a question whether or not Vol is burning pewter. He expressly said he's not flaring, but there's no reason to assume he'd have stopped burning altogether, which would be an odd thing to do in the middle of combat.
Kurkistan
Narrator
Narrator

Post by Kurkistan » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:43 pm

When I said "take 10" I kind of had a double meaning of "take 10" per DnD terminology and "take 10" as in "take 10 minutes". I now realize that that was highly confusing.

My concern is the beat where Sigurd was chopping wood. That was more than 5 seconds, I would think. I'd imagined a few minutes, at the least: Sig is running around chopping up some furniture (using his SUPER AWESOME close combat skills, but that's an aside :P), he's not in any particular rush about it or using fSteel or the like. We'd been talking about that beat falling out of "beat time" (at least so far as combat goes), and it was my understanding that everyone was cool with Vol's search and the wood chopping both being a single action within a longer-than-usual beat.

I'd be fine with Vol taking a Big Circumstance or something because of the extra time he has to do the searching (that's something that is suggested for having more time than necessary in the MAG, IIRC), but I'd say that it's still less than trivial to identify a single moving-around individual from a few steel lines, so Vol just finding Sig without having to roll for it at all would be more an instance of taking 20 than taking 10.

For Vol burning pewter, it's a question of what he was doing during that long-beat, since pewter burns so fast. Even if you're "in combat", if there's an X minute lull and your metals only last for some not-large multiple of X, you might not be constantly burning it.
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:33 pm

lets just do something in the middle- say, 3 minutes of running around and chopping wood? I mean, he only got 4 chunks of wood, right? So Vol is down 3 minutes of pewter, steel, and bronze, and Sig is up 4 chunks of wood.

If Sig is going to take any longer than a couple minutes chopping wood (ie: another beat), Vol will switch up search methods and try using tin.
Kurkistan
Narrator
Narrator

Post by Kurkistan » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:17 pm

Sure, that's fine.

Okay, so we all set? If so, we just need Vols Official declaration and then Sig can declare and we can get this show on the road. We agreed 1 die for the "surprise", right?
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:22 am

Are we talking of making our sneak vs search contest before we get back into combat? Or are we just giving Sig a +1D bonus to his attack and declaring it like a normal combat round?
Kurkistan
Narrator
Narrator

Post by Kurkistan » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:22 am

Whatever Mac wants us to do, though I was talking about just taking the free 1D and calling it a day.
Mac

Post by Mac » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:19 am

I am only here to step in when we need arbitration. I've said my piece on where I think the balance between mechanics and what makes sense falls. If you guys both agree to let Vol declare, and then Sig gets +1D on his attack, you do not need me.

Return to “The Arena”