Transcripts from PMs

Dying Light

Postby Herowannabe » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:55 am

In no particular order.

Chapter 5: Disturbances
As night falls and the mists awaken, the crew begins to gather back at the safehouse. In the lounge, Jaira paces back and forth, lost in thought. Petty, Gash, Fidel, and Dedrie are there as well, each finishing off the last of the meal that Oma had prepared for them. Jerrard is currently keeping an eye on Gen, both of them still in Gen's makeshift cell. Art, Shane, and Locks have yet to return from their assignments.

There is a knock at the door.

"Come in," Jaira says, and the door is opened by a messenger boy, folded letter in hand.

"Wasing the Jaira to be?" he asks, and Jaira nods. He walks over and hands Jaira the letter, then waits patiently for his tip.

Jaira breaks the seal on the letter, unfolds it, then reads it. Her jaw clenches as she scans the page. When she's done she sighs and refolds the letter, setting it on the table. "It looks as if Shane will be helping us from afar from here on out. No matter, we're probably better off without him anyway." She hands the boy a coin, and he bobs his head then scurries out of the room.

"Well..." Jaira says, glancing at the window, "Art implied that he might be a few days researching, and Locks should be back soon enough. So lets get started, what do you all have to report?"

Out of Character. Click to reveal.
Bill Whitmore PMed me and said that he is withdrawing from the game. He's just had a hard time getting into it- which I take the blame for. Anyway, Shane will still be around as an NPC, but very much in the background, at least for now.
Kurkistan wrote:Fidel spares a hand to play a brief and quiet song on the world's smallest violin, but otherwise doesn't comment on Shane's withdrawal.

"Let's see..."

Fidel begins ticking off points on his fingers.

"So 'Gen' is actually 'Khav' and is from a place called 'Jar Khaved' (I assume many people name their children 'Khav' there) which is in turn on another planet where there's no ash and big hurricanes like they have down south sweep across literally everywhere every few days, and the sun is yellow but the 'moons' are different colors and... Umm... and all the animals are crabs of some kind?"

Fidel winds down as he talks, running out of fingers and perhaps sensing some doubt from the rest of the room.

"Yeah I'd bet solid boxings he's as crazy as a sack full of cats if not for the fact that he also has a magic sword. He doesn't seem to think he's outright lying though, so far as I can tell. The sword seems to work by 'killing' anything living it touches—hit a limb and the limb dies, hit a spine and the person dies—and just flat slicing-through anything dead. And 'Khav' can make it show up out of and disappear into thin air."

"Continuing on the side of things that matter more to the current operation, he claims that he's only been in the Final Empire a few weeks (don't let the accent fool you: he has magical language-learning magic from a Night Fairy, don't worry about the details) and that it's a one way trip while he tries to hunt down and kill some guy who killed his brother. So when he killed Kenner, 'Khav' thought he saw this guy and chased after him, killing Kenner by accident when he startled him."

"Oh, and the Night Fairy who gave 'Khav' language magic and sent him here is also apparently a bit meanspirited and cursed him so that he can never remember yesterday: instead every morning he wakes up and remembers the day before yesterday, so he's living essentially a day behind on his memory."

"I assume that, in the spirit of all such magical tales, one day somewhere in the late-middle of the plot he'll be forced into unconsciousness just after finding out some crucial, time-sensitive detail. He'll go through the next day blissfully ignorant of the impending doom, until the aforementioned doom kills his faithful companions (i.e. us), thus providing our hero with a source of drama and resolve, as well as a healthy dose of guilt when he wakes up the next morning (though I suppose it would be the next next morning if he's to remember us dying too...) and remembers that he could have saved us all. Needless to say all of this will provide him with a hidden reserve of strength to finally find and kill his brother's murderer. Cheers and drinks all 'round."

"The upshot of this is that an excellent way for us to test what sounds like the most blatant of his stories would be for me to go up there tomorrow and do this all over again, seeing if he slips up in the interrogation and gives away the fact that we've done this all before. That sounds terribly boring on my part, though."

Fidel settles back, then remembers one more thing.

"Oh and also he claims to know absolutely nothing about Allomancy or politics or, well, anything so if we do take his word for it and trust him back on the crew we might want to have someone give him a crash course."

Too bad about Bill, but I suppose the show must go on. Any interest in telling us his oh-so-secret secrets now that he's out of the running?

@Bubba
Tec and Kadrok already know all the details about Roshar/Shardblades from reading the Stormlight archive, but is there anything else you need? So moral of the story is that a magic genie sent 'Khav' our way with a magic sword who's mechanics you can find detailed in one of Hero's posts in the "General" section.

That or Claincy is a truly phenomenal liar whose character has some excuse to know about Roshar.

Or my character is a phenomenal liar with the same excuse. :P
Herowannabe wrote:
Kurkistan wrote:"So 'Gen' is actually 'Khav' and is from a place called 'Jar Khaved' (I assume many people name their children 'Khav' there) which is in turn on another planet where there's no ash and big hurricanes like they have down south sweep across literally everywhere every few days, and the sun is yellow but the 'moons' are different colors and... Umm... and all the animals are crabs of some kind?"

One quick note: Technically, Gen/Khav doesn't even know that he's from a different planet, only that he's from a very different place, and likewise, Fidel wouldn't be able to know that either. For all either of them know, Khav is from a distant place on Sel with very different living conditions than the Final Empire. Now if Khav could see the stars at night, maybe he'd have a clue, but... Nevermind, I just realized, Roshar has moons- 3 of them in fact- while Sel has none. So by that alone Khav could have figured out that he was on a different planet. Nevermind, carry on. :D

Kurkistan wrote:Too bad about Bill, but I suppose the show must go on. Any interest in telling us his oh-so-secret secrets now that he's out of the running?

ha ha, not in the slightest! :lol: I'm still keeping Shane around, secrets and all. In fact, his secrets are a large part of the reason why he didn't return to the safehouse, instead of coming back and just becoming another side character like Locks or Dedrie or Jerrard.

Kurkistan wrote:@Bubba
Tec and Kadrok already know all the details about Roshar/Shardblades from reading the Stormlight archive, but is there anything else you need? So moral of the story is that a magic genie sent 'Khav' our way with a magic sword who's mechanics you can find detailed in one of Hero's posts in the "General" section.

That or Claincy is a truly phenomenal liar whose character has some excuse to know about Roshar.

Or my character is a phenomenal liar with the same excuse.

Actually Bubba has recently read the Way of Kings and the Words of Radiance (or is maybe still in the process of reading- I don't know if he finished them or not). Either way, he is now up to speed on shardblades. However, yes, it may pay to read up on the shardblade rules I came up with.

tecslicer wrote:Gash pipes up from his comfy chair in the corner. "My evening was not as productive as I'd like, but did provide some, fairly reliable information on the disposition of Elend's magical forces. The soldiers I talked to claim that the king has only a handful of allomancers, and of all types. A soother, a thug, a smoker, maybe a tineye but they aren't sure about the tineye. Most importantly; two facts.
First, the allomancers spend their time patrolling the walls at night.
And second, the soldiers are most impressed with one "Lady Vin". they seem to think that Vin can win the battle for them."

Gash steeples his fingers and then leans forward. "I suggest that we spend our efforts knocking off the surrounding talent before we take on the mistborn. We may even be able to draw her into a trap with our actions."

Kurkistan wrote:"Should be simple enough to hit one or two people before they can react: just throw some muscle at the problem and call it a day. I am a bit concerned about the 'they can react' part, though, given that it's no easy feat to 'trap' a Mistborn without ending up dead."

BubbaFett1936 wrote:"A hun'red or so watch the keep; if'n we wanna take out the Mistings, we gon' hafta kill 'em where there ain't no one to raise no alarms. And the guards, they're...noble. You know, help old women cross th' street, take puppies to orphans, whatever. I ain't too keen on tryin' to bribe 'em. Bunch of 'em were recruited by Kelsier, they was, and th' rest hand-picked by they're general, Cladent. They ain't gonna help. They're," Petty shudders at the thought, "believers. Any plans what counted on a guard or two lookin' the other way is gon' hafta be scrapped. One wrong step, and we'll drop the whole lot o' 'em on our heads."

Kurkistan wrote:Fidel's visage becomes one of mock horror. "Loyalty! Such a rare and disreputable vice!"

BubbaFett1936 wrote:
Damn it all...

Be tea dubs, I finished WoR about a month ago, and I have spent far more time than my employer would find reasonable reading the Coppermind at work. My brain hurts...

Herowannabe wrote:Jaira thanks each of them for their information, and makes a few passing comments on Keep Venture's defenses. She starts discussing the matter of what to do with Gen- Khav- when they hear footsteps approaching from the hallway. The door opens, revealing a rosy-cheeked Locks.

"Locks!" Jaira says in greeting. "Good timing. Let's hear your report"

Locks sighs as he takes a seat by Fidel, pulling his flask out of his coat pocket. "Three of 'em tha' matched the de'cription at the one over in the Sootwarrens, found abou' a week ago. There were two at the one in Blocks'reet- one found same time as the others..." He pauses to take a long pull from his flask. "One foun' las' night."

Jaira's expression grows grim. "Did you see any of them yourself?"

Locks shakes his head. "Nah. Burnt 'em all already."

Petty pipes up. "Er, pardon me askin' an' all, but what's 'e talkin' 'bout?"

Jaira meets each of their eyes in turn before speaking. "I sent Lock out on a hunch to check out a few of the major charnal houses and crematoriums, looking for more corpses like the ones that Gen's sword makes."

The room goes silent as the crew begins realizing the implications.

"Dedrie," Jaira says, "Go fetch Gen and Jer."

Dedrie nods and leaves to do as she asks.

And after another brief lengthy hiatus to run a SE game over on 17th Shard, I'm back! :D

Kurkistan wrote:
Well shit. :shock:

"Well rust."

At this point, Gen/Khav joins the conversation. The narration continues in this thread in the "Everyone but Kadrok" subforum.
Herowannabe
Head Narrator
Head Narrator

Character's Name: Narrator

Return to Fishrage