Ch 5: Digging

Dying Light
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Character's Name: Narrator

Re: Ch 5: Digging

Post by Herowannabe » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:27 pm

"No, I mean, them-" he says, pointing to Jaira and Dedrie.
Fishrage

Post by Fishrage » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:33 pm

"Not sure. I saw you moving, so I went to check on you first," Gash says. "I'll do that right now."

Gash walks over to Jaira and stoops over her, placing his two fingers on her throat to check for a pulse.
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:46 am

Gash can tell even before he puts his fingers to his throat that it's too late for Jaira. The crew leader has wounds in a dozen places, each contributing to the large pool of blood that she is laying in, and her eyes stare blankly at the ceiling.

Nearby, Dedrie stirs, coughing weakly against the smoke.

Give a Wits check plus any applicable traits to examine Dedrie, please.
Fishrage

Post by Fishrage » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:49 am

Out Of Character: Click to revealShow
Wits 4 w/out any applicable traits.
Fishrage rolled 4d6:
2, 6, 5, 5
Thought there was a mistake w/ stuff, tried editing.
Fishrage rolled 4d6:
6, 3, 4, 1
Weird stuff happening w/ dice. Sorry. I got nothing
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:45 pm

So wait. Is that first dice roll what you rolled? 5s with 1 nudge? Or are you saying you deleted the original dice roll and rolled a new one (or rather, two)?

Either way, yeah, the site is pretty good about preventing any dice roll editing shenanigans.
Fishrage

Post by Fishrage » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:06 pm

Wierd stuff. First time, I got the second one nothing with one nudge. Went to edit post saying I got nothing. saw the code saying dice0/dice (with brackets, of course) and thought "hey, shouldn't that be 4d6? Changed it to 4d6 and then the 5s with a nudge showed up. Edited again with dice0/dice and original roll showed up.
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:49 am

oh, gotcha. Yeah that's normal. Once you make a dice roll the site saves the result and the "0" indicates that it was the first dice roll made in that post. If you go edit that post again you'll see that the second roll you made is now labeled "1".

Anyway, going on with your result of 0n.

Gash knelt by the fallen Coinshot and began inspecting him. The back of Dedrie's head was bleeding where it had struck the wall, and his hair and neck were wet with blood. Definitely a concussion, maybe worse. Gash rolled the man over and tried to wake him. Dedrie didn't respond, and when Gash pulled his eyelids open the irises didn't focus or dilate. Gash sat back, concerned. He had the unsettling feeling that he was looking at a dying man.

A memory came back to him- a story told in his homeland back on Nalthis. The story tells of a prince who is wounded in battle. His advisor- an Awakener- finds him and in order to save the prince's life, bestows all of his Breaths upon the young man. The extra life and vigor that the extra Breaths provide is enough to save the young princes life.

The story was probably false, but there was some scientific support for it. Awakeners with a lot of Breaths were nearly completely immune to poisons and aging, and they survived and recovered from life-threatening wounds more easily than a normal man would. If Gash were to give enough of his Breaths to Dedrie...

He hesitated. It was a gamble- a very risky gamble. It might be enough to allow Dedrie recover, but if it wasn't, then he would die and all those Breaths would be lost with him.

Jerrard thumped up next to Gash- he had found his dueling cane and was leaning heavily on it. "I need a surgeon," he said, "The pewter's keeping me alive for now, but with a wound like this..." He trailed off, looking down at Dedrie. "Is he...?"
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:06 pm

Sorry Fishrage, I can't wait around anymore. The rest of the players are ready to move on, so I've got to wrap this chapter up. I will do it in such a way that you (or Tecslicer, if he decides to come back) can pick up Gash's story whenever its convenient for you.

Gash sighs. It isn't worth the risk. Dedrie is too near death, and the Breath is too valuable to risk. "He's alive. Barely," Gash says. "If we hurry, maybe we can get him to a healer in time. Help me lift him."

Together they lift Dedrie's limp form and carry him out into the hall. The staircase is ablaze with flame, so they carry him through one of the bedrooms and to the window. Outside, a small crowd has gathered in the street, just at the edge of visibility. They see Gash and Jerrard, and a few of them rush forward to help them climb down. They lower Dedrie down first, then Gash tells Jerrard to go next. Once the Thug is out the window Gash stores his Breath in his shirt then climbs down as well.

Amid the small crowd, Gash waits patiently, diverting those who express concern over his injuries, and slowly works his way to the back of the crowd. He doesn't notice any of the other crew members- they must have already escaped and fled into the night, assuming the Inquisitors didn't catch them first. There are a series of loud "CRACKS" from the burning house, and then the whole thing collapses. As the crowd cries out in alarm, Gash slips away, disappearing into the mists.

End of Chapter 5: Disturbances
I have about 3 chapters worth of AP to award you. Lets see here:
Chapter 3
  • +1 AP for finding out about Khav and his shardblade

Chapter 4
  • +1 for piercing a coppercloud with your Life Sense
    +1 for learning about Elend Venture's allomancers.

Chapter 5
  • +1 AP for foolishly bravely standing your ground when the inquisitor arrives.
    +1 AP for your Burden (I'm pretty sure the Inquisitor exploited it at some point)
    +1 AP for going back for Jerrard and Dedrie
    +1 AP for saving Jerrard
    +1 AP for use of your Awakening

Total: +8 AP

Also, this is going to be an extra-long breather, or basically several long breathers back to back. I'm thinking at least a month in game-time. So you are allowed to spend AP multiple times (so in other words, you can upgrade more than one thing), and all of your burdens are healed, as well as all damage to your resiliences and any spent Standings.

Let me know if/when you are ready to jump back into the action, and we'll get started on Chapter 6. :D

Return to “Fishrage”