Gash background

Dying Light
Tecslicer
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Character's Name: Gash
NotesInventoryInventoryFantastic, Wonderful, Please give him all the atium.

Inven.
No Tea
Red Herring

Gash background

Post by Tecslicer » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:59 pm

Gash flew thew the air. "A trap. A trap! And I fell for it!" He thought. The ropes that held him up also propelled him at dangerous speeds towards his home. The awakening of those ropes took most of his breath, so the colors of the blood on the bodies that he passed seemed faded to his drab eyes.
"There were too many lifeless in that army to be a distraction! How could they have done this with so few soldiers?" He thought, but then he remembered the command. That blasted command, to awaken a body with only one breath. "How many can they have? They must have doubled their army size in the past month."
"OH Austre!" He cried as he cleared a patch of jungle and neared his home. ""Give me speed!"

Gashalt had been with his fellow awakeners in the Eastern pass when a messenger had arrived to report that the Hanald armies had broken through and were marching through Kuth, destroying freely. Gashalt hadn't wanted to believe him, but his fellow awakeners had. They had started gathering in their breath and running from the field; abandoning the rest of the army to die. Except for Jehoram. He had given Gashelt his breaths and walked into the midst of the fighting.

As Gashalt crossed into his families lands his heart sank. The bodies had stopped littering the ground, but the ash had taken its' place. The height of the ropes allowed him to see his home before he crested the ridge, and to see the crowd of lifeless around it. Gashelt twitched the band of rope around his waist and leaned towards the house as the ropes sped up. "I can't be too late. I can't be. Austre! Help me!" Yet even as he said this three forms were dragged out of the house and down the stairs by a half dozen lifeless. A colorful man at the base of the stairs pulled out a sword and casually struck down his wife and sons. Gashalt could only curse and watch as the awakener then knelt over their bodies and awakened them. The corpses of his family stood once more, bleached of color.

Rage and sorrow filled Gashalt then, replacing the fear and dread, and vying for supremacy in his mind. As he finally arrived at the edge of the crowd of lifeless the rage won out. "Your breath to mine." He said as he reclaimed his breath from the rope. The ropes went limp and he dropped to the ground, rolling into a kneeling position and preparing a new command. "Crush things that are not me." he Commanded and the breath flowed from him into the rope. He flung it into the ranks of oncoming lifeless.
He grabbed another coil of rope and flung it down in front of himself. The rope uncoiled as he held one end and Commanded "Launch things that step over you.

The strange silence of the re-dying lifeless gave his mind room to scream. His quickly trained battle reflexes moved his body, reclaimed breath and commanded again and again, but his mind flailed about seeking answers. The war had not been going well, but not this badly. The forces should have held here. There should have been more lifeless mixed with the bodies that he passed. His family should be safe. He should be in Huth trading dyes instead of here slaying lifeless. He should never have had to buy so many breaths.

Gashalt stopped short as the final lifeless of the first squad stopped moving, and he came face to face with his wife and sons. Their faces were blank and pale. There was no spark in their eyes. The only color on them was the blood spilling down their chests.
Gashalt broke. To this day he can't remember what he did next. Not until he found himself miles away weeping near a small river trying to wipe the blood off his hands.
Tecslicer
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Character's Name: Gash
NotesInventoryInventoryFantastic, Wonderful, Please give him all the atium.

Inven.
No Tea
Red Herring

Re: Gash background.

Post by Tecslicer » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:34 am

Out Of Character: Click to revealShow
Let me know if there is anything that needs to be added/changed to this next part.
He sipped his drink. The sour fruit juice fit his mood, and the company was to his liking. He sat alone in the cafe. He was waiting for a monk to come out for him to follow. He did this every day, his breath stored in his garments, just waiting for the right time to strike. He moved around alot, so they never suspected any plan to his killings; and they never suspected the well dressed, well spoken merchant.

Gashalt blamed Austre for his loss. And everyone that proclaimed that false deity's tenants deserved to die. It had come to him, as he wept by that stream, that he had done everything that Austre had wished. He had served faithfully and been pious all his life. He had defended Austre against those that didn't believe, and won others to Austre's cause. For nothing.

A man dressed in the colorful robes of one of the new returned priesthoods sat down at his table and waived over a server.
"I'm not looking to convert to a new religion priest. Nor to talk about it." Gash said
"Good. That seems to be all this city want to talk about now that the war is old news. I'd rather talk about your new habit." The priest laughs to himself. "Or we could talk about what you do with other peoples' habits."
"I don't know what you are talking about. I don't have the time or money to spend on any habits, except eating." Gash finished off his drink."...and the occasional drink. Now if you'll excuse me." He stood to leave.
"You don't need to keep killing them. I suspect they won't be welcome in the city for much longer, and I have a better purpose for those breaths of yours."
Gash hesitated. He prepared himself to gather his breath and either attack or flee this man. The man had no aurora of heightened color around him, so he could not know unless he had been watching him.
"I don't know who you are or where you are hearing these lies, but it should be obvious that I have no breath; I have, also, not killed anyone since the war."
"Ah the war. Where you joined the Kuthian awakeners and had enough breath to reach the 5th heightening at least. You could have sold those breaths and never needed to work again, yet you work so hard so you can spend your time using that breath to kill the servants of the god that failed you." Gash slowly sat back down as the priest talked.
"So you know." Gash replied after a moment.
"I know quite a lot. I know silly things and true things. I know big things and small things. I know important things and hard things. I know seven words that will make any woman fall in love with you. I know the names of the stars and their planets. I know 16 names of power, and I know that you are not a killer."
Gash Huffed.
"OH! I know you have killed." Whispered the priest. "But that is not who you are."
"Who am I then?" Gash asked.
"You are a man looking for a purpose. I just happen to be holden of a purpose, looking for the right kind of man."
Gash looked back at the chapel. "What's your name, friend?"
"My name is long forgotten. I outgrew it years ago, but you may call me Hoid."
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Character's Name: Narrator

Re: Gash background

Post by Herowannabe » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:13 pm

Bear with me, I'm scrambling to try to keep up with everyone's personal posts, as well as IRL stuff.

Re: bridging the gap between your background and what's happening now. Basically, Hoid taught you about Scadrial, the language, the culture, the magic systems, etc. So you're pretty familiar with the world and everything as a whole, but from a purely academic point of view.

Your breaths, when you're holding them yourself, strengthen your body against the effects of the ash. The longer you go without holding your Breaths the more you start to cough and weeze.

Also, you do have a bit of an accent, though it's not very strong. Hoid is a good teacher. ;)

Return to “Fishrage”