Chapter 2: The Journey and Arrival

Dying Light
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Character's Name: Art

Chapter 2: The Journey and Arrival

Post by Kadrok » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:05 am

Herowannabe wrote:Shane, Art, and Dedrie sit relatively comfortably atop Shane's cart as his horse slowly plods along, pulling them down the path. After a few minutes the path intersects the main road into Fellise, and the cart joins the travelers and merchants moving up and down the road. There is a surprising number of travelers, given that there is an army camped less than an hour's ride away.
Out Of Character: Click to revealShow
The cart is pretty slow moving, but still, you'll likely be the first ones to reach the safehouse, assuming all goes well. The trip will last one beat. Feel free to chat as you ride and/or take an action during the ride.
Kadrok wrote:Is Bill back yet? Also, remember to hit reply to all recipients gents.
Last edited by Kadrok on Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Re: Chapter 2: The Journey

Post by Kadrok » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:40 am

Maybe I'll wait until he checks in before posting anything, if that's okay with you. I was going to ask him if he happened to have some pretty rings in his wagon for me ;) Silver, studded with Emeralds (I'm thinking Art has green eyes, so I'd rather go with green than the blue sapphires I was thinking). Getting them should be a difficulty 2, and I'm assuming his resources are so high that it shouldn't be much of a stretch for him.

What would he get out spending a resources to obtain pretty rings for Art? A favour, quite a powerful thing for someone to have, if they know what to do with it. I'm almost hesitant to offer it, but I was thinking that I could have a lot to gain from working for one of the others... they'd think they hold all the cards, but I'd gain through service considerable insight into their goals and capabilities, something I very much want from "Shane" at the moment.
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Character's Name: Narrator

Post by Herowannabe » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:52 am

Fine by me. Even if he's gone for a while and we are forced to move on with the game, you can just have this conversation when he gets back.
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Kadrok » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:53 am

Bill Whitmore wrote:
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaack.

Oh internet, how I have missed you.
Shane guided his cart adeptly along the paths and roads, missing the worst of the potholes on their ride towards Felise.

Shortly after they were clear of the old estate and on a stretch of unoccupied road, Shane yawned and gave the horses free rein to follow the road as he turned and rummaged through a small compartment on the front of the cart. Pulling out a small cloth sack he opened it to reveal quite a few, long strips of jerked meat. He grabbed one and began chewing on it as he offered the sack towards the other two occupants.
Kadrok wrote:The Obligator takes a small piece of jerky, nibbling it politely. "Shane, I was hoping to travel with you," he began between nibbles, "I managed to talk to most of the others, but not to you... you're a merchant, are you not? Perhaps you can help me." the Obligator paused to take another big bite, "You wouldn't happen to have any jewelry among your stock would you? Silver rings, perhaps? I'm quite partial to silver... completely non threatening. With anything else there is the threat of Allomancy, an emergency reserve or whatever, although..." the Obligator fingered one of his earrings, "Gold isn't exactly high on the list of Allomantic threats..." he smiled mischievously.
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Kadrok » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:52 pm

Bill Whitmore wrote:"Hmm, maybe. I do have a collection of jewelry but most of it is intended for skaa and wouldn't be worth your time. But there might be a silver brooch or necklace in the mix. If not, I know a good jeweler who I'm sure could get you whatever you want."
I'll leave it to Hero if there are actually any silver jewelry pieces in the wagon.

Otherwise, we do get one beat and we are getting to town first, so we could use that beat to go shopping for jewelry. I could probably help you out and net you a bonus die or two on a resource roll for it if nothing else.
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Kadrok » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:59 pm

Kadrok wrote:
I kind of want silver rings set with emeralds. Will that be more difficult?
"I suppose the chances of you happening to have exactly what I want - silver rings set with emeralds to bring out my pretty eyes - would be phenomenally low, so perhaps this jeweler of yours would be the best bet..."
Feel free to check for Emerald Silver rings my friend ;)
Bill Whitmore wrote:
Hero, I made the roll for this in my hidden thread so as to not give away my traits to Kadrok :P. I am going to assume that roll will suffice. We can change this if it doesn't.
Suddenly, Shane brought the wagon to a halt as he snapped his fingers. "Emerald set rings were all the rage in the Northern Dominance a few years back." As he hopped of the wagon and circled around back he added, "And I think I know right where I kept them."

Shane pulled himself up into the wagon and rummaged through his stuff for a few minutes before pulling out an old, worn jewelry case. Muttering, "They should be in here", he opened the case and his eyes lit up as he pulled out a slightly tarnished silver ring, which did indeed have an emerald stone set in it,

"I almost forgot I had these in here. They need to be polished up, but are otherwise in good condition."
Bill Whitmore wrote:"I don't like tendering merchandise in this kind of condition. Let's get to Felise and I'll get these polished up for you. We can discuss price during the rest of the trip."
I am not that interested in quibbling over the details of the exchange so I'm fine with a resource swap for the rings. It'll all be going back to normal next breather anyways.
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Kadrok » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:29 pm

Kadrok wrote:The Obligator looked at Shane appraisingly. "Very well. You're a very useful man to know, it seems. How did you fall in with a group like this?"
Bill Whitmore wrote:Shance chuckled, "Jaira recruited me, probably because, as you say, I am a useful man to know. As for why I accepted the job?" Shane shrugged. "Well, the pay was right."
Kadrok wrote:"So you're only interested in the money?" The Obligator replied, "There seems to be a lot of that going around lately... perhaps it is the state of the Empire."
Bill Whitmore wrote:"Oh, I'm interested in a lot more than money but none of my other interests get accomplished without it. This whole job is a means to an end, my friend."
Kadrok wrote:"As it is for me, though money is less the means; I am here to make useful friends, men such as yourself. May I ask what ends this means is providing for you?"
Bill Whitmore wrote:"I'm getting old. I won't be able to keep up this life of travel forever. I'd like to settle down, set up a shop, and I'd like to do it in Luthadel. A few years ago, setting up a small shop in Luthadel would have been unthinkable, at least as an independent, but right now property values are falling like a brick."

"But what about you? Why are you looking here for friends? We're all people who have agreed to take money to kill someone. How trustworthy of friends can we be?"
Kadrok wrote:The Obligator pauses thoughtfully before speaking again, "Your intentions and the answer to your question have a lot in common, therefore before I answer let me ask you a question concerning your objectives. As you and I know very well good business relies on stability. If society is thrown into chaos, the things business relies on collapse: a stable consumer base, societal protection of interests and the very acknowledgement of ownership and trade. People take what they can get by mere strength of arms, and keep only what they can hold. Now, I can see why you want to set up in Luthadel: for the moment it is experiencing some semblance of stability under its new King, the very man we have been hired to dispose of. This being the case, it seems to me that the very actions you are undertaking in order to fulfill your goals will inevitably put them out of your reach. Is this not the case?"
Bill Whitmore wrote:"Order and stability are of the most benefit to those who already have everything. When chaos sets in, the ones least affected by it are those that already have nothing. The chaos will one day end and order will one day be restored and on that day, I many like me, stand a very good chance of being in a better position than we are right now."
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Kadrok » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:29 pm

Kadrok wrote:"Assuming you can survive the chaos with your wagon intact; many would see what you have and want to take it... I wouldn't exactly call you a man with nothing.

But enough of that, I promised you an answer: the short one is that I am looking to form a group to ensure the optimal society forms from this chaos. I am of the school of thought that humanity does better as a whole under a well ordered society, preferably an egalitarian one. How many Skaa Allomancers were wasted under the Lord Rulers reign? How many Feruchemists slain, if you're aware of that art, when their gifts could have been used to better the whole? These are just extreme examples of course, as an Obligator I am used to thinking in terms of "powers". But if we widen the scope of human potential, do you not shudder to think also of the potentially brilliant accountants, artists, philosophers and athletes wasted by the way the Lord Ruler structured society? A Skaa forced to tend a noble plantation Lord's fields, keeping them clear of ash, might have had the potential to solve the problems of the ash falls altogether!

This is not to say that the Lord Ruler gave us nothing; humanity gained a great many things with the fall of the Lord Ruler, but lost the protection of one of the most powerful beings this world has known. This is a frightening prospect if you consider the possibility that Lord Ruler was keeping something at bay, which I have good reason to believe is the case... but I am getting sidetracked.

The shape of the society to come will by and large determine our ability to survive as a people, and the quality of that survival, regardless of whether you except my notion of a force opposing humanity. I do not consider myself a ruler, and indeed I have far more interesting things to do than ruling this mess, but I cannot just stand by and let the powerful decide the fate of people... there is too much at stake for us to be ruled by fools with swords and Allomancy.

I know what you're thinking, and you're correct: I do think it is regrettable that young Venture is our target; from what I can gather he and I have very similar aims. However, an examination of his foes assures me that he is not long for the throne anyway. Short of some completely unprecedented miracle, Venture will fall to any number of the forces aligned against him, and it is better that his life is lost bringing about order than he die in battle for his ideals, and take thousands of lives with him. His replacement, his father Straff say, can be easily assassinated if he proves unpalatable once his forces and Elend's have been amalgamated, and then there will be even less chance of bloodshed.

You may wonder why I am being so bold as to tell you this. I must confess that I would normally prefer to draw this out, and get a sense of what kind of man you are, but things are moving faster than I would prefer and I simply do not have the resources at present to keep everything under control. My holdings still exist, I am convinced, but the present chaos is wreaking havoc with my access to them. As such, I must confess that I need you. So, my question is... what kind of man are you, Shane?"
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Kadrok » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:37 pm

Things got totally serious, fast. Hero, you should know that I've become cognizant of the fact that my reduced resources will likely impact my army of Allomantic Skaa bastards. I'm assuming I have them all house somewhere in Luthadel, possibly in an "orphanage"... Art is partly motivated by the desire to secure funding for his children. My first two level ups are going to be Resource gains, and thematically speaking that is Art regaining control of his holdings. I was going to have the Skaa Art has managing his financial affairs, a Lawful Neutral numbers obsessed accountant character, find Art as part of this process. Does that sound reasonable?
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Character's Name: Narrator

Post by Herowannabe » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:45 pm

Sure sounds find to me. :)

Return to “Kadrok”