Chapter 4: Digging

Dying Light
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Character's Name: Art

Chapter 4: Digging

Post by Kadrok » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:08 pm

BubbaFett1936 wrote:"Oi!" Petty calls out enthusiastically as the Obligator enters the room. "Where you been? I'da thought you'd beat me back 'ere by half a day."
Herowannabe wrote:
Out Of Character: Click to revealShow
Just bumping this to remind Kadrok that Petty is waiting for Art's response
Kadrok wrote:
Half a day?! How much time has lapsed?! Let me just get my bearings... Art has gone straight from where to his room?
Herowannabe wrote:
Petty is exaggerating. It's been roughly 20 minutes since the meeting in the lounge broke up. Art has returned straight from the balcony.
Kadrok wrote:"Oh, you know how it is... secret meetings and what-not. Say," The Obligator seems to have an idea, "Can you do me a favour? I will be leaving the group for a brief period on Jaira's orders... I'm concerned that in my absence the crew will be... hasty... with this 'Gen' sitution. I must confess, you wouldn't have been my first choice, but would you be willing to look out for Gen's interests in my absence?"
BubbaFett1936 wrote:Petty's lips purse as his jaw sets and his eyes narrow. He lets several seconds pass in thought before the smile returns to his face, and his eyes glint again with mischievousness.

"Sure thing, 'Gator. 'S long as you gimme a little somethin' back. 'Don't you be givin' out no clips without gettin' a clip or two back. Clip for clip,' as my ma used to say. So how's about it, eh? You got a clip for my purse? And if I might be standin' against the crew entire to keep someone alive what's already done for one o' us, it's gotta be a good one, dunn'it? Tell me what you 'n she talked 'bout, and I'll see no one does what they oughtn't to Gen."
Am I going to need to make a Wits roll?
Herowannabe wrote:
No, not yet, and not unless there is something specific you are trying to observe/reason-out. As far as negotiating a trade, you and Kadrok are welcome to do so via Role-Playing. :)
Kadrok wrote:"Tell you what Jaira and I talked about, and you'll 'see no one does what they oughtn't to Gen'..." The Obligator repeats, thoughtfully. He grins mischieviously, "I agree to your terms." He pauses, and then begins, "Jaira asked if I would investigate Ministry Records to try and learn something about this magic sword of Gen's; I agreed; she asked if I would go alone, or if I would take one of you; I expressed surprise at having the option to go it alone, and we talked about Kelsier, and the nature of his crews, how he'd trust his people and what-not... she expressed a desire to foster that kind of trust among the members of this crew, a goal I agree with, I might add. Jaira is a good woman, and you should help her however you can... but I am getting sidetracked... we talked about the time I met Kelsier, and I decided I would hire my own protection, in order that the crew not be undermanned. We exchanged pleasantries and parted ways. And that was it. Nice doing business with you."
BubbaFett1936 wrote:"She keeps an awful lot o' secrets for someone wantin' us to be all lovey-trusty," Petty said, then stopped, as something the Obligator slipped into his statement settled into Petty's thoughts.

"Wait, you...met the Survivor? Well, ain't you jus' full o' surprises? You 'n' I ain't never met before, yeah? It'd be quite a shock for me if you laid that on the table, it would!" Petty laughed. "Well, we'll hafta talk 'bout that 'nother time then, won't we? You meetin' the Survivor, and all."

His smile changed to a grimace for a moment as something else occurred to him. "'Nother thing we might talk 'bout when you get back, you're an Obligator, yeah? So you've had access to lots o' the history? Do the names Hilbrek, Jonuth, 'n' Arrella Tyrendian from the Southern Dominance mean anythin' to you? Or somethin' to do with the Bordoux affair, or Inquisitor Choren? Somethin' we came 'cross while lookin' at Kenner's body's had me...vexed."
Kadrok wrote:Making a mental note, the Obligator replied, "I'll look into it in my absence."
BubbaFett1936 wrote:"Thank y' much. We'll see you when you get back."
Well, I'm good.
Kadrok wrote:
I'm done here too.
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Re: Chapter 3: Digging

Post by Kadrok » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:23 pm

As Art lay in bed for what should be his last night in the Safehouse for a while, he thought on all he'd learned, So now Petty has brought up the Bordoux affair, right after I managed to "overhear" it... much as Jaira brought up Gen's "shardblade"... I'm beginning to think I needn't bother extracting the secrets of my new friends, it seems time will arm me with them regardless...
To refresh my memory:

(not the format I'd've chosen but the OOC isn't working properly to encompass it all...)
Herowannabe wrote:
oh right, sorry about that. Here you go:
Petty pauses to whisper to Jaira, "Ask Gen if he knows anything about the Blackwater's, the Tyrendian's, the Bordoux affair, or Inquisitor Choren. Something doesn't sit right."

Jaira responds, "The- Kenner's book? I doubt that it's anything important, but we'll ask."
Herowannabe wrote:
oh right, in that case, don't worry about the copper charges, as they won't be applicable. We'll just go on what you rolled without them.
Art had heard of the Bordoux affair. It was a nasty piece of business that occurred in the southern dominance over 200 years ago, where two young noblemen brothers- the Tyrendians- murdered a Prelan and replaced him with a Kandra in order to have laws passed in their favor. They were successful at first, and leveraged their advantage to seize a good deal of power in their region- power which they held onto for a couple decades. Eventually, one of the brothers confessed and both of them were seized by the Canton of Inquisition and executed, this ending the Tyrendian family line.

Now, what a centuries-old scandal from another dominance has to do with Kenner's death and Gen's shardblade is completely beyond Art.
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Kadrok » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:39 am

So, my first "Hire Hazekillers" roll failed, and I'm assuming that actually takes place on the next day (the day after Petty and Art talk.

So in the morning, Art sets off and fails to find some help. Frustrated, he'll crash at a Ministry Office, and hire guards the next day, this time reaching out to Vont for standard Bodyguards instead of seeking Hazekillers: Resources+Well Connected (you said that the in with Vont would cancel the -1D, and that a Bodyguard would be difficulty 2, with each nudge extending the hire by a week, or adding another bodyguard)
Kadrok rolled 5d6:
2, 3, 3, 1, 6

Excellent. So, a timeline...

DAY 0: Chat with Jaira, Petty, etc.
DAY 1: Art leaves the safehouse, leaving his chest, fails to acquire protection, crashes at a minor abandoned Ministry Facility.
DAY 2: Art approaches Vont, gains the use of two goons for a week, arrives back at the Safehouse with said Goons to retrieve his chest and sets up a Kredik Shaw.

Given Art's influence also refreshes each day, and the actions I've described wouldn't take a whole day, I'd like to do an Influence roll for each day, representing Art doing some digging. Make sense?

Obviously this might not all play out the way I have written it here (not to mention I have to write up these encounters), but I thought I'd set up Art's trajectory so you know what's going on with Art for the next two days, and can thereby move the other characters along.

Given Art spends an hour each day "meditating" (storing) with your approval I'll add the charges once we've cleared these two days.

Sorry if I seem to be rushing things, I don't see the two days setting up for Art's academic adventure as particularly interesting, and want to get on with scouring Kredik Shaw for references to other worlds and Shardblades and such.
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Character's Name: Narrator

Post by Herowannabe » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:37 pm

That all sounds fine. And you're right, hiring some goons is not going to take all day, so you have some time for investigating, too.

What exactly do you mean by "digging"? Doing the research for shardblade references? That would be a wits check, not influence. Also I need some more information about where you are searching. Your options basically include the following:
  • Kredik Shaw
  • The Ministry offices- specifically the Canton of Orthodoxy
  • Libraries outside of Luthadel. There are many scattered around, but most are going to be in the possession of one tyrant or lordling or another. Art only knows of one well-stocked library that he is confident he can get access too, and that might have the information he is seeking: the library in his Father's estate in the Northern Dominance.
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Kadrok » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:57 pm

Oooooh! All very tempting! I'm most torn between Kredik Shaw and Art's father's estate... I've just set up at Kredik Shaw, and it probably has the most relevant information, but... STORY POTENTIAL... aaaaahh!
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:05 pm

Narrator secret time: I have fun things planned for both, and one way or another I'll make sure you get to both places at some point in time. ;)
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Kadrok » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:33 pm

Okay. Kredik Shaw it is. As for my influence digging, let's subtly reach out to some people and figure out Petty's thing. I did promise I'd look into it. The somesuch affair and that Kandra thing, right? I really need to find the time to update my dossier.
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:49 pm

Just making a quick mysterious Narrator roll here. Feel free to ignore it (or get super paranoid about it) as you see fit ;)
Herowannabe rolled 6d6:
5, 3, 4, 4, 3, 5
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:14 am

I don't see that you made an influence roll anywhere, so allow me to go ahead and make one for you:

Influence +Obligator +Well-Connected = 6D
Herowannabe rolled 6d6:
1, 6, 5, 6, 3, 3

3 and 2 nudges...
Art sets out first to find some bodyguards. Hoping to find some protection of the Allomancer variety, he hits up a few of his old contacts, but to no avail. Any and all Allomancers have either been drafted into King Venture's army or have fled the city months ago. All his search gains him is the attention of a small patrol of the city guard. Noticing Art's tattooed face, the guards follow him around for a couple hours, but never approach him or speak to him.

Giving up on finding any Allomancers, at least for the time being, Art sets out to find Vont's contact, and soon walks away with two of Vont's mercenaries as bodyguards for the week.

Still having some daylight left, Art decides to see what he can find out about the people and events that Petty mentioned. Remembering that the Bordoux affair was quite the political scandal, he goes first to an old acquaintance of his, well versed in political history, and is pleased to find him still in the city. His acquaintance finds a book in his personal library that describes the events of the Bordoux affair, and the aftermath of the fall of House Tyrendian. Lots of boring political details, centered in the Southern Dominance, and having no relevance to the crew's current situation.
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Kadrok » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:34 am

Ooooh, thanks Hero!

Return to “Kadrok”