Sate Sordarn 3.0

Kadrok's house of horrors...

Moderators: Kadrok, Gil-galad

Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Sate Sordarn 3.0

Post by Kadrok » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:35 am

Concept: It's Sate! Feeling more herself than she ever has before!
Crew: Speed Connection!
Cause: Uphold the law
Target: Criminals
Method: Guns a-blazin' and fists a-flyin'!
Race: Human
Sex: Female
Height: 5' 9"
Weight: 84 kg

Attributes
Physique: 4
Charm: 3
Wits: 4

Standings
Resources: 4
Influence: 2
Spirit: 3

Traits
Drive: Survive and thrive
Profession: Bounty Hunter
Specialty: Out of the box thinking
Feature: Looks that can kill
Personality: Energetic

Powers
Allomancy
Iron 4

Feruchemy
Zinc 4

City Dweller Stunts
--Academic Connections: Sate attended a prestigious university in Bilming (the UoB). She still keeps in touch with many of her old classmates and professors, who have been largely accepting of her transition (if a little too curious). Furthermore she retains the research skills she developed. When Sate fails a Wits roll, she may spend a day calling on colleagues and libraries to reroll. With success, she succeeds and suffers no consequences of her initial failure (as if she’d never failed at all). She may only attempt to reroll a particular failed Wits roll once.

Equipment
(P) Doubled metalmind (small) - Stores 100 charges of Mental Speed; an earring piercing the helix of Sate's right ear
(P) Misting Vial - Contains 3 charges of Iron
(P) Bulletproof Vest - Corset woven with pads and metal plates; absorbs 2 damage from physical attacks
(P) Sterrion 36 revolver - Damage: +2; Capacity: 6 shots; Range: Close/Medium; an efficient, reliable gun with excellent range and stopping power

Tragedy: I missed so much of my life pretending to be someone I'm not.

Destiny: I want to fit as much life into the time I have left as I can: see things no one has seen, outwit cunning foes, find lovers and friends, spit in the spikes of old Ironeyes and meet gods.

Bonds
I owe Sigurd my life for getting me through the early days of my time in the Roughs, and for accepting me even though I've changed quite a lot since we met.
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Re: Sate Sordarn 3.0

Post by Kadrok » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:35 am

Resiliences

Charges
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Re: Sate Sordarn 3.0

Post by Kadrok » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:36 am

Backstory

A note: Of all of my characters I poured the most of myself into Sate. As such, when I transitioned, though characters like Falcom Artwar or Jastes Hasting were fine as male, Sate was the one character I kind of which had been a girl. So to my dilemma: do I retcon Sate into a woman, or do I keep Sate a man? And then a third option occurred to me: what if I play Sate as trans gender, like me? What if I transition Sate? Of course, the AoL era is a little early for a lot of the medical technology we have concerning transition, since in our own history that stuff only starts to pick up in the 1930s... but I figure I can just fudge that a bit. Let's just say there is enough tech around for Sate to be a trans woman and not concern ourselves with the details. Afterall, the people of AoL seem accepting enough of Ranette's girlfriend, and less strict in their "traditional gender roles" (Thanks Vin!). It's not inconceivable that their treatment of trans folk is similarly ahead of their time.

So. Sate is trans gender. She was assigned male at birth and grew up thinking she was male, albeit with a sense that something was wrong which she kept hidden deep inside. Though I use "she" throughout Part 1 and 2, reflecting her true gender, Sate actually spent all of that time believing herself to be a man and presenting as such. I was tempted to use "he" throughout Part 1 and 2, in the style of Virgina Woolf's Orlando, but I decided against it. On a personal level I would prefer people use "she" when referring to pretransition Kadrok, and most other transwomen I know feel the same.

Part 1: Adapted from Sate 1.0
  • Sate's mother was a Terriswoman who moved from Tathingdwel to Bilming to settle down and marry Sate's Father who was from Elendel. Sate's parents were fairly permissive and open to Sate pursuing her dreams.
  • Sate grew up in Bilming; received a good education and even studied at the University (taking a degree in Literature), but she was somewhat sheltered. She was particularly interested in stories of the Roughs, and stories about people surviving against the odds.
  • Sate was a Sparker Ferring from a young age, though she scorned a career in Accounting or any other Sparker typical jobs; Sate felt it would be a waste of her abilities. Ironically, though, she would mostly use her powers to win board games and other diversions though.
  • She became anxious about the boring path her life was taking. Or perhaps she was running away from the sense of wrongness which was only getting stronger. Remembering the stories she'd loved as a child she caught a train to True Madil on a crazy whim, bought a horse, named him "Seeker", and Took up some bounties to pay the bills.
  • On reflection she realized she'd bitten off more than she could chew, and so resolved to seek safety in numbers. She became a gunsmith's assistant as a temporary job, while seeking the right group of people to crew with. Eventually she met up with a man named Sigurd, a powerful Oracle-Steelrunner twinborn, who helped her find her feet in the roughs. Together they formed the partnership known as "Speed Connection!"
  • Sate secretly longs to find a team good enough to take on powerful compounders and bring them to justice. She's always wanted to outwit a Mastermind (Double Zinc) or outgun a Swift (Double Steel) or bring down a Timeless (Double Gold).
Part 2: Quoted from Sate 2.0
  • As part of a larger crew, Speed Connection were tasked with bringing in a Steel Compounder, dead or alive. Sate's genius plan involved creating an explosion so powerful that even a Swift couldn't outpace it... a plan that went pear-shaped...
I'm not going to edit this one, I'm going to leave it as it is.
Kadrok wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:27 am

I have no idea how to write Sig anymore, so I apologise in advance Kurk! Head canon is that this is how Sate remembers things through the headaches, coma and probably mild brain damage.

Thud! Thud! Thud! Through the storm of sounds, Sigurd heard only the rough beat of his own footsteps, and as his ears bled he swore he could hear the footsteps of the shadows surrounding him. His eyes watered as the fire raged around him, and he saw his shadow pause, looking hurriedly around, a second before he did. Sate? he thought dimly before hoarsely calling aloud: "Sate!" A shadow's head snapped around and Sigurd found himself looking at the shifting rubble before it started moving, a groan announced his friend's presence.

Thud! Thud! Thud! Sigurd was running again, dodging the burning beams as the collapsed around him, cutting through his shadows, but missing him. His Steelminds burned against his skin, full of the blaze's heat, against Sate's skin as well he suspected, as he carried the bleeding mess over his shoulder. Sig hefted Sate's weight uncomfortably. I'm telling him to lose some weight when we get out of this! Sate was mumbling. Crying?

Thud! Thud! Thud! His footsteps echoed against the footpath, mirroring the earlier illusion, giving sound to the footsteps of every shadow We're gonna make it buddy, Sig thought. Sate was mumbling still, clearer now the blaze was between them: "I'm sorry Sig... the Swift knew me... I needed to detonate the... before he got away..."

Thud! Thud! Thud! Sate's heart pounded in his chest as he shot up from bed, feeling a sluggishness to his body and mind that reminded him of storing mental speed. Sigurd looked up from his magazine, "Welcome back buddy. I figured you'd be coming back. My... friends had to be excited about something."
"How... what..." Sate put his hand to his face, before pulling in back horror, "What the hell!"
"Ah, yes... your face."
"How could you let it get like this!" Sate paused, and glared at Sig. "Mirror!"
"Are you sure you want..."
"Mirror!"
Sigurd reluctantly handed Sate the mirror, only to see the other recoil in disgust from his reflection.
"I'm hideous!"
"It's just a beard Sate! You've been in a coma for well over a month, I wasn't going to sit here and shave you every day!"
Sate awkwardly swung down from the bed, his aching, slightly atrophied muscles barely working the way they used to, and for the first time he realised how much his head still hurt. "I feel like hell..."
"I'm not surprised," Sig replied, "there was barely any of you left when I pulled you from the fire."
"The fire!" Sate exclaimed, before clutching his head in pain. After the pain subsided he continued, "Did we get him?"
Sigurd shook his head. "Witnesses saw a man outrunning the explosion."
"Dammit!" Sate awkwardly slammed a fist down on the table, and instantly regretted it. "I blew myself up for nothing!"
"Well... not quite nothing..." Sigurd replied.
"What do you mean?"
"Well... remember that time you first had Rotgut, and you got all delirious, and thought you were dying, and passed out on the Tavern floor?"
Sate's headache rang again. "Don't remind me..."
"Do you remember your last words to me?"
"No." Sate groaned disinterestedly, the headache making mortal considerations irrelevant.
"'Test me for metals' you said. So after this, I thought 'what the hell?', it's now or never. You're never going to be as ruined or stressed as you are now..."
Sate forgot his headache. "What are you saying?"
"You're an Twinborn Sate!"

Part 3
  • To be continued...

Return to “Kadrok”