Alloy Supplement Discussion

A place to do whatever, out of character.
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Re: Alloy Supplement Discussion

Post by Kadrok » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:03 am

Well there is a stunt that lets you use your aTin rating instead of your Physique, but for the reasons Kurk outlines above I'd be hesitant to churn out a similar thing for Wits...
Mac

Post by Mac » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:22 am

Kadrok wrote:Does his Duralumin Telepathy work both ways, can he give us a bonus by coordinating us mentally?
I have no idea. I posted somewhere, either here or on crafty, asking what possible benefit people think one could get from this. The best I see is a positive Circumstance for the Team to act in coordination, which isn't even a full die and would only work when your specific action requires teamwork. Presumably that's a low-enough bar to get over, like, "Oh, I decide to shoot that extra over there instead of this one, because I know Saolin's got this one," but it's still less than a die of bonus.

My idea about a people-detector is a new possible bonus, but at best it stretches to medium, I'd have to burn a lot of Connection to get the benefit for any length of time, and almost everyone will be able to shoot me from more than medium range. I can think of only rare and idiosyncratic circumstances where that would be of benefit.

As to your question of how much gets shared... I'm not sure? Am I a hub, or a terminal? i.e., I see it working one of two ways. Either I know what everyone intends to do, and everyone knows only what I intend to do, because there are no direct connections between any two people. So I can realize what you all (and maybe some bad guys) intend and call out simple adjustments, assuming you all learn to trust me implicitly, but since the bad guys won't be locked into their Declarations the way they'd be with atium it doesn't really matter. The other option, the feelings I get from Kad, Kurk, and two bad guys all become part of "my feelings" so now Daris (and everyone else) all get the full bundle, which would obviate the need for me to call out instructions/warnings... but it means the bad guys would know, too?

A strict reading of the rules is... a bit confusing, for much the same reason all rules about duralumin are confusing; they vacillate on their wording as to whether the effects are one-way or two-way. It seems that my foes will get some benefit, at least, and I barely get any... this is a terrible stunt. ^^;;; I'll still get it someday, just because stunts are comparatively cheap and while I've got two powers I would like to level up there's not really anything my heart is pounding to get, but I don't expect it will be of overwhelming efficacy.
DURALUMIN
Perfect Rapport (Compounding): By spending 20 Compounded charges of connection, you may deepen your sensitivity to the point where you can share feelings with all other characters within 10 paces (Close Range). Willing characters automatically share everything with you; you can sense the feelings of unwilling
or hostile characters only by beating them in a Wits vs. Wits Contest. Using this ability doesn’t allow you to read each others’ thoughts, but you can sense one another’s intended courses of action, how the others feel about different people nearby, and the like.
This effect lasts 1 minute + an additional minute per 20 additional Compounded charges you spend, or until you choose to end the effect. You may also extend the area of this effect out to all characters within 100 paces (Medium Range) by spending an additional 20 Compounded charges.
EDIT: I've always imagined that your name was "KAH-drick", but in my dream, some lady pronounced it like two distinct, equally stressed syllables. "CAD-ROCK"
PhantomMonstrosity

Post by PhantomMonstrosity » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:17 pm

Well Hey, Brandon got back to me with some WoB. He hedged a bit on the conduit stunt stuff, but on the other hand it's Not Technically Impossible :)
Do synthetic gemstones work in fabrials too?

Let's say we had a platypus feruchemist, who can sense electric fields. Could he make a tinmind for that sense?

Can a pewter feruchemist go all fiddler crab? Store a bunch of strength from one arm, tap it into the other?

If the Lord Ruler joined the Knights Radiant, what order would he fit in best?

Let's say some mistborn jerk tosses Nightblood into the mists. What happens?
Synthetic gemstones should work. (Phant note: for fabrials) It's a combination of color and chemical structure that's important. Just like metals from off Scadrial would work for an Allomancer, synthetic gemstones should work.

Platypus tinmind should work.

So far, any freuchemist we've seen has been required to enhance their entire body or make their entire body weaker.

I suspect the mists would pull away from Nightblood, though he'd try to feed on them.

Lord Ruler might make an okay Skybreaker, but not a great one.
Last edited by PhantomMonstrosity on Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kurkistan
Narrator
Narrator

Post by Kurkistan » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:21 pm

Cool. Where'd he do that? I don't see any new answers on the Goodreads thread...

Also nice to get direct confirmation of non-Scadrian metals working for Allomancy (there remained some small doubt that the "magical" nature of soulcasting made it special for producing Allomantically-viable metals, somehow).
Mac

Post by Mac » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:25 pm

PhantomMonstrosity wrote:Just like metals from off Scadrial would work for an Allomancer,
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! I give up. I'm gonna go cry in my room now.
Kurkistan
Narrator
Narrator

Post by Kurkistan » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:29 pm

Mac wrote:
PhantomMonstrosity wrote:Just like metals from off Scadrial would work for an Allomancer,
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! I give up. I'm gonna go cry in my room now.
We've known this for quite a bit already...
PhantomMonstrosity

Post by PhantomMonstrosity » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:32 pm

Kurkistan wrote:Cool. Where'd he do that? I don't see any new answers on the Goodreads thread...

Also nice to get direct confirmation of non-Scadrian metals working for Allomancy (there remained some small doubt that the "magical" nature of soulcasting made it special for producing Allomantically-viable metals, somehow).
I pinged him on reddit, since I double-tapped my submission and it looked like goodreads had thrown it out.
Kurkistan
Narrator
Narrator

Post by Kurkistan » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:34 pm

Ah. Cool. Why was he talking about gemstones there at the beginning?
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Kadrok » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:36 pm

Kurkistan wrote:Ah. Cool. Why was he talking about gemstones there at the beginning?
Sounds like Phantom asked if Synthetic Gemstones could be used, or if you'd need to dig the out of the ground/chaosfiend.
PhantomMonstrosity

Post by PhantomMonstrosity » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:42 pm

Yeah, my brother asked me, so I tossed in a second question on goodreads about using synthetic gems in fabrials (which is probably what got them both thrown out).

That's good news for my secret don't-tell-brandon fabrial construction project.

Return to “General”