The Crew

Charcoal, Sulfur and Saltpeter General
Fenrirman
Narrator
Narrator

Name (CSS): Narrator

The Crew

Post by Fenrirman » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:22 am

All right, gentlemen, time to work out the bonds between your characters, as well as other details about your crew.

Kadrok and Kurkistan have already established their characters are friends and have taken down some marks together already. What about the rest of you? The crew does not necessariy have to be a band of mercenaries that has been working together for some time, you can be rivals, barely acquainted or even complete strangers to one another, Brettin will be doing the job of getting you together anyway.

About the bonds:
Fenrirman wrote:The Bonds System

The bonds system comes from an RPG called Dungeon World. Basically, it's a mechanic that rewards player interaction with experience (in this case, advancements). After each player has created their character, you'll add two bonds each in your character sheets, for example:

- _______________ owes me their life, whether they admit it or not.
- I have sworn to protect _______________.
- I worry about the ability of _______________ to survive this quest.
- _______________ has steered away from the Path, I'll show her the way.
- I don't trust _______________, he's hiding something from the crew.

Fill in the blanks with the name of another player's characters, so that you have one bond with two different characters. Ideally, every character should be the "target" of two bonds. Whenever we reach a breather, if a bond has been resolved, you gain one advancement and get to write another bond.
If you need help coming up with bonds for your characters, check this"random bonds generator", it need some adaptation to fit into Mistborn themes, but it's a great place to start. Alternatively, you can ask me to come up with bonds for you. 3:D

Any questions? If not, commence the brainstorming!
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Name (CSS): Sate

Attributes (CSS): :
Phy: 4 -- Res: 4/4 -- Hea: 8/8
Cha: 3 -- Inf: 3/3 -- Rep: 6/6
Wit: 6 -- Spi: 2/2 -- Wil: 8/8
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Survive and thrive
Profession: Bounty Hunter
Specialty: Out of the box thinking
Feature: Well-read
Personality: Restless
PowersPowersPowersFERUCHEMY
Zinc 5

GUNSMITHING
Create Guns: Sate can make guns from raw materials, allowing him to create any standard, commonly used firearm. Additionally, he gains 1 free Prop, which must be a gun chosen from the Firearms table on pages 115-116.

Re: The Crew

Post by Kadrok » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:42 am

Sate
Sigurd owes me his life, whether he admits it or not.

Originally I was going to suggest the reverse for Sigurd, but then I realised... Sigurd is obviously the competent Roughs survivor, so of course Sate owes him his life. It's much more interesting if we go with the bond this way, and have Sigurd not really acknowledge that Sate has saved him a few times, because that's just not how he's used to seeing the relationship.
And that leads me to think that maybe:

Sigurd
Sate's like the little brother I never wanted; I'd best keep him safe, lest he get himself killed.

would be appropriate. Thoughts Kurk?
Kurkistan
Narrator
Narrator

Name (CSS): Sigurd

Phy: 5 -- Res: 4/4 -- Hea: 9/9
Cha: 3 -- Inf: 2/2 -- Rep: 5/5
Wit: 3 -- Spi: 3/3 -- Wil: 6/6
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Make a name for myself
Profession: Mercenary
Specialty: Close range combat
Feature: Twitchy
Personality: Brash
PowersPowersPowersALLOMANCY
Electrum 4
Instinctive Burning: Sigurd instinctively starts burning Electrum in response to threats, gaining Defense Dice from Electrum whenever he’s attacked — even when he isn't aware of the impending attack (e.g. when he’s ambushed or attacked in his sleep). This grants no extra benefit if he’s attacked while already burning Electrum.

FERUCHEMY
Steel 4

Post by Kurkistan » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:03 pm

Hm. I like it well enough, but perhaps a small change? It seems that we're already exploring a Jastes/Laurent dynamic of the one character (mine) considering the other (yours) to be a junior partner in need to looking after lest he get himself killed. So all we might need to do here is advance the timeline of their relationship a bit.

Perhaps this one could be more Wax/Wayne-ish? To essentially equal partners, though with different personalities and with the one (Wayne/Sate) starting off as a subordinate/trainee? So at this point we'd have gotten past that and would be at the "equal partner" stage.
Bill Whitmore

Name (CSS): Cale

Cha: 4 -- Inf: 2/2 -- Rep: 6/6
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Build up his reputation
Profession: Bounty hunter
Specialty: Survivalist
Feature: Gallows humor
Personality: Confident
Pewter 4
Denser Tissues: While burning Pewter, Cale's flesh becomes tougher and denser, and he suffers 1 less damage from physical attacks.

FERUCHEMY
Gold 4

Post by Bill Whitmore » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:07 pm

Is Hero playing and if he is, do we know what his character will be?

Also, I am not entirely sure what is meant by "resolved". I was looking at sample bonds above, from the random table and here.

Let's say I have something like "I have sworn to protect Sate". How is this resolved? Do we have to have some sort of falling out and stop trying to protect each other? Or if Sate died in combat, I'd get more XP because it's been resolved?

Likewise if I had something like, "Sate has stood by me in battle and can be trusted completely."* from the link. Does this only get resolved when I've decided that, "You know, I don't really trust Sate anymore"?

Anyways, the system looks interesting, I just think I don't fully understand it.

* A dangerous one to take where Kadrok is involved ( :P ) but the one I was actually considering given our previous discussion about the connection between our characters.
Fenrirman
Narrator
Narrator

Name (CSS): Narrator

Post by Fenrirman » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:06 pm

Hero will be playing, yes. A Leecher martial artist he's developing with the help of Kadrok.

About the bonds, their resolution it's not an exact science. Basically, when the relationship established by a bond stops making sense or being relevant to the current state of the story, it should be resolved. That only depends on an agreement between the bonded characters and the Narrator.

In your "I have sworn to protect Sate example, both resolutions are potentially valid, as well as others. For example, your character could decide Sate does not need protection anymiore after witnessing him defeat a powerful foe by himself. Maybe Sate saves your character's life and you realize you were the one being protected! The bond then could change to "I owe Sate my life", or even change completely, something like "Devin does not trust me, and I don't trust him either".

The bonds are merely a way to quickly establish character interaction in more interesting ways than just "hey, let's team up and defeat villain X to reach goal Y". Some are more restrictive, while others allow for multiple possibilities of resolution. Your second example is one of the more restrictive ones, but there could be alternative ways of resolution. One bond I like very much and fits your Bruteblood very well is: "_____________ is soft, I will make him/her hard like me". "Hard" here could mean battle-hardened (wich fits your concept), but maybe its the bond between a ruthless character and a more compassionate one, both equally matched in fighting prowess.

Was that helpful?
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Zinc 5

GUNSMITHING
Create Guns: Sate can make guns from raw materials, allowing him to create any standard, commonly used firearm. Additionally, he gains 1 free Prop, which must be a gun chosen from the Firearms table on pages 115-116.

Post by Kadrok » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:47 pm

I'd like to pick up the 'Customize Guns (Magnum Force)' stunt at some point, so Sate's going to have to work out a bit and get up to 5 Physique. Also, the stunt itself should see a lot of use since he'll be able to upgrade everyone else's guns into death-sticks. I think I know what Sate is going to be doing every single Short Breather... (upgrading your guns).

The three Customize stunts I wanted were Invarian Chambers, Magnum Force and Allomancer Safety. 2/3 of those seem pretty appropriate to everyone on the team which should keep Sate busy (and Allomancer safety is a post snapping thing, and as I have mentioned, I wasn't going to beeline for the snap).

Kadrok plans ahead way more than he should.
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Name (CSS): Durand

Phy: 5 -- Res: 3/3 -- Hea: 8/8
Wit: 5 -- Spi: 3/3 -- Wil: 8/8
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Indomitable Spirit
Profession: Exhibition fighter
Specialty: Martial Artist
Feature: Aversion to metal
Personality: Quick with a one-liner
Chromium 5
Defensive Leeching (Reaction): Once per Beat, when an Allomancer hits or otherwise makes direct physical contact with Cale, he may immediately burn Chromium, depleting the opponent’s stored charges at the moment of contact. If the Allomancer’s action involves a roll, this is a Contest; make a Chromium roll and if your Result beats that of your opponent, all charges he or she has stored (of all metals) are immediately wiped out. If the Allomancer’s action involves no roll, you must instead make a Difficulty 1 Chromium roll to wipe out his or her stored charges.

Post by Herowannabe » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:00 pm

My character is up, background is still coming. I have it thought out in my head but need time to type it all out.

Also, I unintentionally created a character that could conceivably "snap" into a feruchemist. hmm....

Anyway, potential bonds for Durand. I could see something like "Durand bests X in a fight, and now X holds a grudge" OR "... and now he and X are best friends" (with "X" being one of the Allomancer/twinborn characters).

Another one that would work for another character could be "Durand's quips get on my nerves."
Kurkistan
Narrator
Narrator

Name (CSS): Sigurd

Cha: 3 -- Inf: 2/2 -- Rep: 5/5
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Make a name for myself
Profession: Mercenary
Specialty: Close range combat
Feature: Twitchy
Personality: Brash
Electrum 4
Instinctive Burning: Sigurd instinctively starts burning Electrum in response to threats, gaining Defense Dice from Electrum whenever he’s attacked — even when he isn't aware of the impending attack (e.g. when he’s ambushed or attacked in his sleep). This grants no extra benefit if he’s attacked while already burning Electrum.

FERUCHEMY
Steel 4

Post by Kurkistan » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:42 pm

Shoulda' just named him Chuck, I think. :P

Durand could have beaten Sigurd, if you like. I'm trying to make a "friendly/likes his crew" character for once, so it could result in friendship. :)
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Zinc 5

GUNSMITHING

Post by Kadrok » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:10 pm

No! Back off! Sigurd is MY best friend!

Oooooh, that gives me an idea for a bond: 'It used to just be me and Sigurd, but lately he's been fobbing me off to hang with Durand..."

EDIT: Also, question for Fen... how many charges can we start with? The rule is...
MAG page 280 wrote:...a character who enters play with Feruchemical Powers might start with up to 30 × his rating in charges if the Narrator feels it fits the story.
So it's up to you how much we start with. Given ratings and storage, this is how it would play out...

10 x rating (equivalent of one short breather)
Sate and Devin (rating 5) - 50 charges
Cale and Sigurd (rating 4) - 40 charges

15 x rating (equivalent of half a long breather)
Sate and Devin (rating 5) - 75 charges
Cale and Sigurd (rating 4) - 60 charges

20 x rating (equivalent of two short breathers)
Sate and Devin (rating 5) - 100 charges
Cale and Sigurd (rating 4) - 80 charges

25 x rating (equivalent of one short breather and half a long breather)
Devin (rating 5; up to 200 storage) - 125 charges
Sate (rating 5; only 100 storage) - 100 charges
Cale and Sigurd (rating 4) - 100 charges

30 x rating (equivalent of one long breather)
Devin (rating 5; up to 200 storage) - 150 charges
Cale (rating 4; up to 300 storage) - 120 charges
Sigurd (rating 4; up to 200 storage) - 120 charges
Sate (rating 5; only 100 storage) - 100 charges

It's interesting that Sate loses out in the long term despite having the best storage ability of everyone (with both rating 5 and relevant attribute at 6; eventually Cale will exceed this because he stores based on a resilience, which for Cale can go at least up to 26 when burning Pewter... so Cale is the only one who will be storing a round 10 at any point) because he has less metalminds storage than everyone else.

Note that these rates will be slightly different during actual breathers because the rules on them are worded slightly differently to starting charges:
MAG page 281 wrote:• Short Breather: The maximum number of charges a Feruchemist may store in a Short Breather is equal to 10 × his or her normal maximum, as described
in the previous section.
• Long Breather: The maximum number of charges a Feruchemist may store in a Long Breather is equal to 30 × his or her normal maximum, as described in the previous section.
Under this system, storage rates are as follows:
Sate - 5 per hour (maximum possible without Hemalurgy for fZinc)
Cale - 4 per hour (as noted, has the potential to reach 10)
Sigurd - 4 per hour (can reach 5 through an increase of both rating and attribute)
Devin - 4 per hour (rating of 5 capped by attribute)

As ratings and attributes stand at present, the characters gain the following per breather if they choose to store:

. . . . . SB/LB
Sate - 50/150 charges
everyone else - 40/120 charges

This being the case, perhaps Sate should invest in another metalmind at some point, since each Long Breather he'll have a surplus of 50+unused charges.

Anyway, wow. I turned a minor comment into a massive storage break down. Fen? What are our starting charges going to be? Sate is going to be full for 20x and over, so should I just set my charges at 100?
Grayv

Name (CSS): Devin

Wit: 5 -- Spi: 2/2 -- Wil: 7/7
TraitsTraits and BurdensTraits & BurdensDrive: Help the downtrodden
Profession: Runner
Specialty: Think on my feet
Feature: Ugly scar over heart
Personality: Hard trusting
Steel 5
Steelrunner Reload: Once per beat when he fires his last shot, Devin may spend 5 charges of physical speed to reload without taking an action

Post by Grayv » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:17 pm

I would like for my first bond to be:

"I owe Cale my life" (but he doesn't know this)

I am still working on the second one. (you said we need two right?)

Return to “General”