Stuff we've learned from Brandon Firsthand (spoilers ahead)

A place to do whatever, out of character.
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Stuff we've learned from Brandon Firsthand (spoilers ahead)

Post by Herowannabe » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:06 am

This thread, as has been so aptly described in the title, is for things that we as members of the Steel Ministry have learned from Brandon directly, and feel may be interesting for everyone else on this site. Also, discussion about these things.

edit: Also, there will be SPOILERS galore in this thread. You have been warned.
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Re: Stuff we've learned from Brandon Firsthand

Post by Herowannabe » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:27 am

Signing report: Firefight Pre-release signing

Just got back from this signing a little while ago. Brandon did a general Q&A, but nothing really significant was said during it that I remember. No wait, one slightly interesting thing: Someone asked him about whether or not he had worked it so that shardplate regrowth adhered to the law of conservation of mass/energy. He said yes, that there is basically a big reservoir of energy in the spiritual realm, and that most of the magic system function by tapping into that somehow.

Then he did a reading for a novella he is working on called State of being (or something like that), about a guy who is literally a brain in a jar (one of many), hooked up to a highly-advanced simulator. Basically, sort of a personal Matrix, except that you know about it from birth.

Now, for the questions my wife and I asked, and his answers (paraphrased, but I have the audio recording I'll upload sometime):

Q: What was Vasher's pre-returned name?
A: RAFO

Q: Why (as Denth said) was the name "Vasher" a joke?
A: Vasher "borrowed" it from someone who died, for ...reasons... Denth is not amused by it.

Q: Vasher is not the best of swordsmen in Warbreaker, but he is a bonafide sword-master in Words of Radiance. Expound?
A: Basically, Vasher is a much better swordsman than Warbreaker makes him out to be, but by that point he is centuries old and worn out and tired of fighting, plus he's had Nightblood for a long time so hasn't needed to keep his sword-fighting skills sharp. In WoR, he no longer has Nightblood, and has had to rely on what he's good at to make a living, and fighting happens to be something he is good at.

Q: Why are shardblades unnaturally light and Nightblood unnaturally heavy?
A: (I feel) he didn't really answer it directly, but basically it's because Nightblood is basically what Shardblades would be if they were "broken." It has to do why Nightblood leaks black smoke that falls down, as opposed to white mist that floats up, and things like this. They are built on the same principles, but in some ways opposites.

Q: Hoid in Shadows for Silence and/or Sixth of Dusk?
A: Hoid is not in either. He has paid a visit to Threnody, it is interesting to him for certain reasons, but he has never been to (I think he called the planet) "First of the Sun." Brandon decided he wouldn't put him in a book unless Hoid was there actively doing -something-, or in other words, Hoid isn't there just to make cameos.

Q: In Hero of Ages, when Elend was testing the mistfallen, why didn't he find any mistborn?
A: Preservation was trying to send a message, so the number 16 is important to him (Preservation)- one for each of the misting types. If he had made mistborn, that would have been 17. Plus, it would have been much harder to make them mistborn as opposed to mistings. Basically (and this was the highlight of the signing for me), the Mists weren't just snapping un-snapped mistings, they were investing people with Allomancy. None of them would have been able to be mistings without the mists intervening.

Also, I was able to get one of the Firefight card/figures- namely, Regalia. The website where you enter the code doesn't seem to be working for me though.
Kurkistan
Narrator
Narrator

Re: Stuff we've learned from Brandon Firsthand (spoilers ahe

Post by Kurkistan » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:35 am

Ooh, that last one is also the highlight for me. The question of whether the Mists snapped latent power or invested it into people has been bouncing around (we've had a few conflicting/vague WoB's, IIRC) for quite some time.
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Re: Stuff we've learned from Brandon Firsthand

Post by Kadrok » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:40 am

Herowannabe wrote:...the Mists weren't just snapping un-snapped mistings, they were investing people with Allomancy. None of them would have been able to be mistings without the mists intervening.
Wow. That's big. Implications for Dying Light? :)
Kurkistan
Narrator
Narrator

Post by Kurkistan » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:45 am

It ever disturbs me to contemplate what dark and twisted schemes Kadrok is coming up with in Dying Light... :?
PhantomMonstrosity

Post by PhantomMonstrosity » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:50 am

Verbatim Q&A from my Firefight:

I've run a mistborn RP for two years. Got a few Qs as a GM.

Could you steal any trait hemalurgically that can be stored feruchemically?

Who is Kelsier's noble dad?

How many Breaths would be fair to turn a mistwraith into kandra-ish?

Kurkistan
Narrator
Narrator

Post by Kurkistan » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:57 am

The Feruchemical question is quite interesting. On the one hand, it's like "well that makes sense", then when you get into the details it gets a bit murky. Hemalurgy's all about stealing "anything encoded on the soul", but fBendalloy, fCadmium, and fBrass—the three most "you can get these energy sources from distinctly outside of the Feruchemist himself" metals—spring rather quickly to mind as kind of odd to slot under that category.

What happens if you spike out "caloric energy"? Do you steal some of the donor's metabolism and so boost the speed/efficiency of your own, or get a constant stream of "food energy" coming into your body so you have to eat less, or what?
PhantomMonstrosity

Post by PhantomMonstrosity » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:39 am

Well, I figure that physical strength kinda sets a bit of a precedent for how that works. Continuous lesser bonus, so you'd always be like 20 degrees hotter than anyone else, or always mass ... an ... additional

Lose weight with this one weird trick discovered by a Lord Ruler.
Herowannabe
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Herowannabe » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:42 am

PhantomMonstrosity wrote:Well, I figure that physical strength kinda sets a bit of a precedent for how that works. Continuous lesser bonus, so you'd always be like 20 degrees hotter than anyone else, or always mass ... an ... additional

Lol! :lol:

Sounds legit, I'll buy.
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Kadrok » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:57 am

PhantomMonstrosity wrote:Well, I figure that physical strength kinda sets a bit of a precedent for how that works. Continuous lesser bonus, so you'd always be like 20 degrees hotter than anyone else, or always mass ... an ... additional

I laughed so hard.

But seriously, it has me thinking that stealing caloric energy could let you forgoe eating indefinitely. Like a... spike of sustenance. All this time we've been thinking how good Feruchemy is for surviving Space travel... but what if the answer was Hemalurgy all along. If it is a continuous lesser bonus, a Breath-spike is like an unlimited Oxygen mask.

Somehow it seems a little strange though, a little too "perpetual motion"-y.

Return to “General”